First Pic's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SA-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Some of my first underwater pic's.
I was using a Canon Ixus V2 with housing and internal flash.
All these were taken this past weekend at Ponta do Ouro, Mozambique.

not bad for a first attempt. The exposure looks ok. I would suggest that you try to take the pictures at different angle instead of the usual straight down at the subject as you will get a more interesting view. Get the camera down low and look up at the subject is the most common good practice. The stright down view is usually a bit flat and boring in comparison.

It's incredible that I can discuss photos from Texas with someone from South Africa and Thailand!

Anyway, tell me about the lobster (I guess that is what the was). Are they typically that color?

Rodney

I agree with ssra...try to get lower for profile shots or a slightly elevated angle. I've gotten to where I avoid these straight down shots unless it's a subject I've never seen before. Let's face it, a straight down, flat picture is better than none, right? :wink:

sailor025 once bubbled...
It's incredible that I can discuss photos from Texas with someone from South Africa and Thailand!
Boy...ain't it the truth! Before I started diving and found the dive message boards, I had hardly been anywhere more than a few hours drive from home, not counting a few vacations to Colorado. Most of my friends were people in my hometown that I went to school wiith. Now? My two best friends live in London and Florida, I've been to several countries, all the coastal states and then some, and think nothing of sitting up into the wee hours of the morning in order to chat with someone in Russia and Australia over the internet!

opps, just relooking at my last post and it did come out quite the way I want. Sorry, did not mean to be overly critical or mean.
I do like the lobster and wish I can sese a few more angle shots.
Getting closer to the subject is half of the challenge of getting a good picture. Never did show my first batch of the pics on the board but I sure did have plenty of flat and boring pictures from that trip :)

I don't see it as being critical, rather being helpfull.

Unfortunately on these reefs there is so much coral growth that it is very often impossible to get down lower without touching something else on the reef, but I will certainly keep that in mind.

The lobsters on the East Coast are typically that color, on the West Coast they get much larger and are red in color.

Once again thanks for the comments, I am looking forward to improving my pics and sharing with you guys. All I still need to do now is find a local site to host my pics.

Kobus

Great pic of the mantis shrimp. I hope my fist attempts with our new camera come out as well...

As a newbie the only advice I have to offer at this stage is - do not be shy to take lots of pics.

I took over 300 photo's on the weekend on 4 dives. Did a total of 8 dives the weekend but was DM on 4 of them and did not take the camera on those.

Of the 300+ photo's I have 86 which I think are not too bad.
Of the 86 I have about 10 which I think are pretty good taking into consideration that it was my first UW photo's.

Kobus

Back
Top Bottom