First Rebreather

Which Rebreather is the BEST First Rebreather?

• ISC Megalodon APECS 2.7/Predator w/ 8 lb. Scrubber

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • reVo III w/ Large Radial Scrubber

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Sentinel Expedition

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TecDiver1990

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey Everyone! I'm looking to get into rebreathers very soon, and I've narrowed it down to 3 choices. I will get either a Meg APECS 2.7/Predator w/ the 8 lb. Radial Scrubber, the reVo III w/ the large radial scrubber, or the Sentinel Expedition. I want one with long duration that will stand up to cave diving, where I do most of my diving.

I am just looking for everyone's opinion on which is the best for a first rebreather that's going to last a long time, and why you have these opinions.

Thanks!!!

You know, our opinions are just that. RBs are just like any dive gear: You have to try them on in the water and see which work best for you. And, the odds are you will probably own more than one in your diving. So, it doesn't have to be the "BEST" for the 1st unit. Hope it is, of course, but think about all of the gear you have purchased, just to find out that something else will work better.

I've owned a MEG and Hammerhead - wreck and cave diving - but can't be objective about the others as haven't had them on my back. Good luck whichever way you go.

I second Bill's sentiment and advice.

I own and use two... a Pelagian (totally manual) an Evolution+ computer driven... and I would recommend either; but disregarding that and focusing on generalities...

First rebreather informs that at this point you have zero hours. Pushing long exposures in a cave before you have logged a few dozen hours -- in my opinion -- is a bit of a crap shoot, and the extended srubber thing sort of indicates you may intend to push the back of a couple of systems early on... and this is way easy on a CCR... do take it slow, mate!

As for your choices, and just between those three, the VR Technology one... partly because of the high quality of the instructors teaching on it... all of 'em are very thorough.

Is the revo a MCCR or ECCR or hybrid? Also do you want front mounted counter lungs or back mounted? Also why did you decided to narrow it down between these three units?

I'm in a similar boat in making my first CCR purchase this year; but can I ask why you're not considering the Evo+? My list was Meg/rEvo/Evo+ (The sentinel is large and unfriendly for air travel, imo).

Have you dove any of them? That can help with some of the WOB questions... good luck, let us know how you make out.

First off, my post will be biased since I dive a rEvo.

The Sentinel is a very big unit and extremely heavy out of the water. Traveling with it may cause some problems.

You mention cave diving as the reason for wanting the big scrubber durations. I am not sure what the standard Meg scrubber is good for but I do know that the standard rEvo scrubbers are rated at 4-1/2 hours in the warm Florida caves.

I went with the rEvo for several reasons. The back mounted counterlungs give a clean and uncluttered chest area. It is the lowest profile of any rebreather and makes tight wreck and cave diving possible (not quite to the ability of sidemounting though). My rEvo has ShearWater predators for computers (nothing better on the planet at this time).

I think the Meg is a well built unit, but just not right for me. Some of my friends still dive Megs.

The reVo is a hybrid, with 4 working modes: 1.) Pure mCCR 2.) mCCR w/ electronic parachute system 3.) eCCR w/ orificebleeding 4.) Pure eCCR

I second Bill's sentiment and advice.

I own and use two... a Pelagian (totally manual) an Evolution+ computer driven... and I would recommend either; but disregarding that and focusing on generalities...

First rebreather informs that at this point you have zero hours. Pushing long exposures in a cave before you have logged a few dozen hours -- in my opinion -- is a bit of a crap shoot, and the extended srubber thing sort of indicates you may intend to push the back of a couple of systems early on... and this is way easy on a CCR... do take it slow, mate!

As for your choices, and just between those three, the VR Technology one... partly because of the high quality of the instructors teaching on it... all of 'em are very thorough.

Thanks Steve. I like the VR Technology Sentinel, except for how difficult it can be to travel with one. I talked with Jim Wyatt for a while this morning and I've really narrowed it down between the Meg and the reVo. I really like the redundant systems of the reVo, and after talking with Jim about it, it sounds like the cat's meow...except for the canister size. I do eventually want to get in the way back of the systems of N. Flordia, and I don't know if the reVo has the duration to make it that far, with 6 hour duration with the large radial scrubber. I'm leaning towards the reVo, but there will be a lot of thinking before I make a purchase.

And I plan on logging about 20-30 hours before I take the CCR Cave Course and start cave divign with my CCR.

I like all 3 you listed.

I think that you are not supplying enough information. What sort of diving do you do now? What sort do you intend to do soon? What sort is your ultimate goal? Why do you need a rebreather to for each of these? What particular advantage(s) does it provide?

Back
Top Bottom