First Rebreather

Which Rebreather is the BEST First Rebreather?

• ISC Megalodon APECS 2.7/Predator w/ 8 lb. Scrubber

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • reVo III w/ Large Radial Scrubber

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Sentinel Expedition

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reVo is a hybrid, with 4 working modes: 1.) Pure mCCR 2.) mCCR w/ electronic parachute system 3.) eCCR w/ orificebleeding 4.) Pure eCCR
I was wanting to know which particular model are you thinking about? It seems to me that you have it narrowed down between two different beast. Have you ever though about the Kiss Explorer vs the revo? I am bias with this though.

I think that you are not supplying enough information. What sort of diving do you do now? What sort do you intend to do soon? What sort is your ultimate goal? Why do you need a rebreather to for each of these? What particular advantage(s) does it provide?

Right now, I do cave diving with an occasional deep wreck (trimix) and the occasional OW dive in a quarry with some of my buddies that are just OW cert. I intend to do longer/further penetrations into caves, and longer dives on deep wrecks. Ultimately, I want to be doing long, deep cave dives at places like Eagles Nest, Alachua, Blue, Buford, Indian, Cathedral, Diepolder, and places like that. I also want to have the ability to do some exploratory cave diving a little further down the line. I think I need a rebreather for this because it seems very impractical to do dives like the ones I want to do on OC.

I hope this clarifies what I want a rebreather for.

Having 6+hours cave dives is going to require a lot of bailout gas. This could be a limiting factor, more then the scrubber.

Al

I was wanting to know which particular model are you thinking about? It seems to me that you have it narrowed down between two different beast. Have you ever though about the Kiss Explorer vs the revo? I am bias with this though.

I'm looking at eCCR.

Having 6+hours cave dives is going to require a lot of bailout gas. This could be a limiting factor, more then the scrubber.

Al

How would you go about having enough bailout for a dive like that? I have 2 LP130's that I've set up for SM, even though I never use them. What else might I need to have?

How would you go about having enough bailout for a dive like that? I have 2 LP130's that I've set up for SM, even though I never use them. What else might I need to have?

Well, basically you need to figure out how much gas you will need to exit OC from your furthest penetration. Then add a fudge factor as a cya.

Al

Since you mentioned Eagles Nest, a 35 minute dive could require as many as 2-4 alum80's of bottom mix, 1-2 alum80's of intermitent mix, 1 alum80 of 32%, 1 alum80 of 50%, and an O2 tank on top of all that.

Just because you have a rebreather, doesn't mean that you carry less tanks. Many times we end up with almost as many as the OC guys.

Well, basically you need to figure out how much gas you will need to exit OC from your furthest penetration. Then add a fudge factor as a cya.

Al

So basically, you take the capacity of your bailout tanks at their given pressure, and calculate that as 2/3 or your total gas needs. How do you calculate the 1/3rd for penetration on the rebreather? Or is there just a completely different set of planning rules for CCR Cave?

Since you mentioned Eagles Nest, a 35 minute dive could require as many as 2-4 alum80's of bottom mix, 1-2 alum80's of intermitent mix, 1 alum80 of 32%, 1 alum80 of 50%, and an O2 tank on top of all that.

Just because you have a rebreather, doesn't mean that you carry less tanks. Many times we end up with almost as many as the OC guys.

So you've basically gotta have all the gas you would need to do the planned dive's deco requirements on OC, and exit bailout as well?

Another vote for the rEvo. I like the freedom up front do to the back mounted counter-lungs, easiest scrubber packing on the market (using kitty litter), Cells have no moisture on them after a dive (less failure rate), Shearwater computers (name says it all), easy access to all components (no tools), easy to clean, easy to travel, NEW RMS System rocks! I don't care for the BC harness so I just replaced it with 2 inch webbing.

I personally think you need more than 30hrs before you start doing the type of dives that you want to do! When switching to rebreather you can't just do a class, get certified and get back to the Tec dives that you were doing on OC. Rushing is one of the biggest mistakes a rebreather diver makes. One of the next biggest problems that I see in the field is the rebreather diver not caring enough bailout.

Be Patient Grasshopper!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom