First Regs: Deep 6 Signature, DGX Deep 6, Atomic B2, or something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indeed we don't even have dealers.. so.. that may be one reason you wont find one on our website.

That said, any diveshop can service our gear, no issues here. In fact given that the reg comes with a free and extra service kit (except when we ran out, but we have them now) and the manual is available online, there should be no issues except when a shop wants to punish a customer for not buying from them.

Regardless, that argument is silly, most shops don't carry that many parts and if you are on a trip won't get you sorted that quick anyhow, there are rare exceptions (Divers Supply Cayman where I worked 20 + years ago) but genrally you are gonna be in a rental.

Just reality

Your "Affiliates" then. And you may want to look into fixing your locator for them.

Most half decent dive shops are going to be carrying service kits for their major lines and at least standard parts. If you have a S600 diaphragm with a hole in it there's a solid chance at least one of the 5 Scubapro dealers within a 25 mile radius of me will have a replacement of some kind. More of a chance than someone having a replacement for a Deep 6 Signature at least.

And for a lot of shops it's not a matter of punishing someone - it's a matter of liability. Most shops won't touch a reg that they are not a dealer for because, in the good ol' US of A at least, people are litigious as hell and it's not worth the headache to even bother with. If you take a Mares reg into a Scubapro dealer, even if you have parts kits with it, and ask them to service it they most likely won't.

All that said, I'm not going to lie and say I don't have a horse in this race. I've managed dive shops and been in the dive industry my entire adult life (we actually met briefly last year at DEMA. I was the NAUI Midwest Rep at the time.) If someone brings a Deep 6 into me for service and they have the parts kits then I am going to look up the manuals and service it for them (the manufacturer being cool with non-authorized techs conducting service goes a long way with me even if it doesn't for other techs.)

Just because I lost the sale on a reg doesn't mean I've lost them as a customer so I am going to try and treat them right. I'll probably be able to get them back for a Perdix or BC sale if I do my job right.

Your "Affiliates" then. And you may want to look into fixing your locator for them.

Most half decent dive shops are going to be carrying service kits for their major lines and at least standard parts. If you have a S600 diaphragm with a hole in it there's a solid chance at least one of the 5 Scubapro dealers within a 25 mile radius of me will have a replacement of some kind. More of a chance than someone having a replacement for a Deep 6 Signature at least.

And for a lot of shops it's not a matter of punishing someone - it's a matter of liability. Most shops won't touch a reg that they are not a dealer for because, in the good ol' US of A at least, people are litigious as hell and it's not worth the headache to even bother with. If you take a Mares reg into a Scubapro dealer, even if you have parts kits with it, and ask them to service it they most likely won't.

All that said, I'm not going to lie and say I don't have a horse in this race. I've managed dive shops and been in the dive industry my entire adult life (we actually met briefly last year at DEMA. I was the NAUI Midwest Rep at the time.) If someone brings a Deep 6 into me for service and they have the parts kits then I am going to look up the manuals and service it for them (the manufacturer being cool with non-authorized techs conducting service goes a long way with me even if it doesn't for other techs.)

Just because I lost the sale on a reg doesn't mean I've lost them as a customer so I am going to try and treat them right. I'll probably be able to get them back for a Perdix or BC sale if I do my job right.
that was an amazing well recited typical industry response :), but.. not only do I not agree.. I think it's part of why the industry is shrinking. Your last comment is to me a great attitude, look after and make them happy and they are your customer for life.

You have 5 dealers in 25miles, that is more than slightly unusual in most areas. Again, the Deep 6 owner will have a spare

the liability argument is bogus, there are miles of precedence and case law regarding warranty and liability on non dealer servicing. Plus, as the manuf. Deep 6 is authorizing any shop that has a trained scuba tech of any brand to service our regulators based on their training. All they need to do is use our parts and download the service manual.

The affiliate system is a work in progress, the upgrade of our web store to a new software version broke the affiliate module, but even still, affiliates are not dealers and not service points.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom