First set of scuba tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live in GA, but Dive in FL regularly, I don’t know of any good dive spots in GA yet but probably something I should look up. Almost everyone in FL fills LP to 3000 or more by default unless I specifically ask them not to I would think. I don’t know of a reason to ask them not to.

I’ve read here on SB that getting overfills on LP tanks outside of cave country can be an iffy thing.

I’ve read here on SB that getting overfills on LP tanks outside of cave country can be an iffy thing.
Thanks for letting me know, going to look more into it. Any idea why though?

Thanks for letting me know, going to look more into it. Any idea why though?
maybe they think it's illegal, or that it wears the tank out faster, or is harder on their equipment, or they're just uncomfortable doing it... any number of reasons
As far as I know scuba tank compressors can reach at least 4500 psi, so maybe just ask them nicely to fill and hope they hook you up with a nice fill

Divers using LP85's: Do you change burst disc to higher pressure? e.g. 5000 PSI?

Just bought my first set of scuba tanks. Blue Steel Faber LP 85 Steel Tank Hot Dipped Galvanized BLS-LG85SDVB what’s everyone’s opinion on them. Would love to hear you alls opinion. I did some googling going on random forums, groups etc.. those are so most recommended ones that I read people saying one can’t go wrong with them.
But if I am wrong please let me know. I’m here to learn.

Anyone else felt uneasy buying their first set of tanks or is it just me? Kinda wish renting steels were as common as renting aluminum’s.

I know it’s rare but couldn’t help not look into stories of tanks explosions, injuries and what not. Definitely babying those tanks and taking care of them. Anyone else did the same or felt the same when buying their first set?
Thanks for the Topic .. I'm "shopping" ..trying to figure what's best for me ..Used to use H.P. 100's .. 15 or so years ago ..just getting back into diving again ...looks to me like the L.P. 95's are "maybe" my best choice now ..For tourist "sport" diving off Palm Beach County ... How are the 85's working out for you ?? ......... Capt'Don ..SS Diversion on the wreck of the Mercedes in Ft Lauderdale ..Mid 80's

Attachments

• 20221127_133823.jpg
    20221127_133823.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 46
I'm shopping for used in my area though really only seeing AL80. Are the benefits of steel tanks great enough to consider buying new vs used and cheaper aluminum?

I'm shopping for used in my area though really only seeing AL80. Are the benefits of steel tanks great enough to consider buying new vs used and cheaper aluminum?

Depends on your diving conditions, lead weight requirements etc.

Back
Top Bottom