First shots with a Canon T3i - Bootless Bay, Papua New Guinea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calypsonick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A few shots below... the rest are here :

Bootless Bay, PNG 9 Feb 2013

8458244438_ac5093f2d1_c.jpg

8458218538_1b6cbf8731_c.jpg

8457131997_311e8a8f35_c.jpg

Very nice

Great pics! How do you like your Ikelite housing and strobes? I'm looking at different housing and strobe packages for my T3i and have been leaning towards the Sea & Sea RDX 600D housing and YS-D1 strobes, but I'm looking for opinions or reviews of Ikelite equipment with this camera to compare before I make this big of a purchase. Any insight you can provide would be appreciated!

Thanks all! Ldavis4662 - I used an Ikelite housing and dual DS125s for my Olympus E330 for many dives and it was a great set up. I still like Ikelite but there is a big difference in the use with the Canon T3i with a macro lens using liveview on the screen with autofocus. It has a hard time focusing in live view. Through the viewfinder it is lightning fast and I can take many picture in a short period of time. ONly drawback is that composing is hard when having to look through the viewfinder with a mask in the way. ;-) I hope that helps - Nick

Great photos!

Moving up from a point and shoot to a DSLR is a huge learning curve (I used to have a Canon S95 in Ikelite housing - which I still use :D), I now have a Canon 600D in Sea & Sea RDX600 housing which I am very happy with. It is nice and robust (just remember to pop up the strobe before you close the housing!). I connect the strobe using optic fibre cable.

The plus point in using Ikelite housing is that you can easily use the Ike strobes which are great. I did a lot of research before choosing the RDX housing from Sea and Sea. It is more expensive but according to what I've read on this website, the RDX is more robust, especially when you start upgrading to wide angle and dome ports (but can't comment as I have not got there yet!).

I also had problems focussing with my 60mm lense as it used to hunt a lot. I tried live view but it wasn't great. I now have a focus light and use the view finder (it gets easier) and it helps a heck of a lot as it lights up the subject, giving enough contrast for the camera to focus on what I am trying to shoot.

Enjoy your camera :D

Thanks Kwaaitjie! I am reassured with your comment about using the viewfinder getting easier cuz it is a pain. I am eager to try my wide angle next weekend and maybe the live view focus will work better with that. Fingers crossed (except for when I have to push the shutter lever, of course :wink: )

Back
Top Bottom