First solo dives!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100 dives is an arbitrary number. Being exposed to a variety of conditions is more important.
25 dives is also an arbitrary number. I watched a diver underweighted in cold zero visibility water not not even get his hair wet and asked someone to sign his log book (glad it wasn’t me). 100 seems like a fair number of dives to lose a mask, get caught in a current, have a o-ring blow out, get silted out, pick the wrong compass heading, lose a fin, forget to turn on your air, get hung up on a monofilament line, get your flag line tangled around your ankle and valve stem, lose your weight belt on entry, get virtigo or a dozen other non-fatal problems.

It’s best to encounter and learn to deal with all these with a buddy and not on as a solo diver. Some people are scuba savants, until they aren’t...

Edit:haven’t done everything on the list, but done or seen a fair number.

100 dives is an arbitrary number. Being exposed to a variety of conditions is more important.
Agree. I thinks it's more important to experience a variety of conditions in the area(s) you will dive. As opposed to different locales around the world. But that's good too.

Your buddy can cut you loose if you're entangled

Technically, this was not part of training in OW or AOWD class.

Neither does PADI's buddy check procedure involve checking for cutting tools.

Lots of places where things can go wrong. They should change their mantra from "Never dive alone" to "Think before you dive!".

I'm just trolling...

This is my first post on the board and I pray that I don't truly regret it. I've been curious about scuba for basically my entire life. I'm a 50 something man in pretty good shape who grew up watching Jacques Cousteau and other nature series on TV and I've done a fair bit of outdoor sports and exploring on my own, not to mention spending 30 years doing conservation law enforcement. I'm not an over the top risk taker, but I AM adventurous and I'm not a "scaredy cat" about anything. I've snorkeled quite a bit, mostly in northern waters (PA and NY) and I've had exactly one "beginner's dive" at a Dominican resort that I'm sure wasn't certified by any organization. I've been reading this board for a few weeks and I've occasionally picked up scuba magazines when I've seen them for most of my adult life. The bottom line is that I have almost zero experience and I'm not in a position to tell anyone on this board or anywhere else what they should think about solo dives, safety considerations, certifications or anything else.

All that said, I am going to give my personal observations because I feel compelled to and because it may help to offer some perspective for some of you experts who have been diving for decades. Perhaps it will encourage others in my situation to offer their opinions or to ask logical questions. Frankly, after reading the entire 6 pages of this thread (and many other threads on the scubaboard), I'm left wondering how I feel about the whole thing. I'm not sure if I'm put off a bit because it now seems like a monumental task to get properly trained at my age, if I feel like some members of this board simply think of themselves too highly (and believe me, I'm involved in a LOT of hobbies and sports and that would be an absolutely common and normal occurrence), if maybe the sport isn't completely right for me after all or if I'm right on track and still really want to get certified and learn to dive.

I guess this topic hits me on a somewhat personal basis because I tend to be an introvert anyway and because many or most of my hobbies and pursuits are solo ones because I typically seek solitude in nature and in my endeavors. I enjoy being with my wife and kids, but honestly, they aren't as jazzed about the possibility of getting scuba certified and diving as I am and I'm sure I'd find myself in the position of constantly going by myself or just going on a trip and ending up buddying up with some other loner like myself (who may or may not be serious, may or may not be well-trained, may or may not be concerned for my welfare, etc.).

I really don't know what this pursuit may end up costing me for equipment, certifications and dives, but I'm of the belief that it won't be inexpensive and I say that with a pretty high confidence level. :wink: I'm hoping to retire soon, but my wife probably won't be able to retire when I do and I don't often travel with others (although I do have friends and family that would also be interested in diving). I live near enough to Lake Erie, the Finger Lakes, the Thousand Islands and some other waterways to get some diving done I suppose, but I suspect that most of my logged dives or certification dives would come at resorts in the Bahamas, Central America, the Florida Keys, etc. and I honestly can't afford to be making 2 or 3 of those trips every year (maybe I could if that's all that I ever did, but I have other loves (fishing being one of them) and other family responsibilities).

I guess my point being that to get to the 100 dive minimum to even consider getting some sort of solo dive certification so I could occasionally enjoy this pursuit on my own might take me a lot of years and a ton of money. Now, to be clear, I do respect the serious nature and the inherent dangers of scuba diving and I'm not suggesting for one minute that I feel compelled or able to just wing it, go my own way and solo dive without following the proper steps. I'm just trying to point out the confusion that I feel and that many first time divers probably feel when reading stuff like this. I'm sure that some board members will say, "Hey, there are no shortcuts and if you want to end up dead, do as you please" and others will suggest, "Ah, relax, it's not as bad as it sometimes appears when you read these long threads and some of us are too self-important and think we know what's best for everyone". I really hope I can find a way to get appropriate training quickly enough to enjoy this as a retirement hobby without breaking the bank.

Just throwing it out there and thanking everyone for the discussion as I have enjoyed it.

This is my first post on the board and I pray that I don't truly regret it. I've been curious about scuba for basically my entire life. I'm a 50 something man in pretty good shape who grew up watching Jacques Cousteau and other nature series on TV and I've done a fair bit of outdoor sports and exploring on my own, not to mention spending 30 years doing conservation law enforcement. I'm not an over the top risk taker, but I AM adventurous and I'm not a "scaredy cat" about anything. I've snorkeled quite a bit, mostly in northern waters (PA and NY) and I've had exactly one "beginner's dive" at a Dominican resort that I'm sure wasn't certified by any organization. I've been reading this board for a few weeks and I've occasionally picked up scuba magazines when I've seen them for most of my adult life. The bottom line is that I have almost zero experience and I'm not in a position to tell anyone on this board or anywhere else what they should think about solo dives, safety considerations, certifications or anything else.

All that said, I am going to give my personal observations because I feel compelled to and because it may help to offer some perspective for some of you experts who have been diving for decades. Perhaps it will encourage others in my situation to offer their opinions or to ask logical questions. Frankly, after reading the entire 6 pages of this thread (and many other threads on the scubaboard), I'm left wondering how I feel about the whole thing. I'm not sure if I'm put off a bit because it now seems like a monumental task to get properly trained at my age, if I feel like some members of this board simply think of themselves too highly (and believe me, I'm involved in a LOT of hobbies and sports and that would be an absolutely common and normal occurrence), if maybe the sport isn't completely right for me after all or if I'm right on track and still really want to get certified and learn to dive.

I guess this topic hits me on a somewhat personal basis because I tend to be an introvert anyway and because many or most of my hobbies and pursuits are solo ones because I typically seek solitude in nature and in my endeavors. I enjoy being with my wife and kids, but honestly, they aren't as jazzed about the possibility of getting scuba certified and diving as I am and I'm sure I'd find myself in the position of constantly going by myself or just going on a trip and ending up buddying up with some other loner like myself (who may or may not be serious, may or may not be well-trained, may or may not be concerned for my welfare, etc.).

I really don't know what this pursuit may end up costing me for equipment, certifications and dives, but I'm of the belief that it won't be inexpensive and I say that with a pretty high confidence level. :wink: I'm hoping to retire soon, but my wife probably won't be able to retire when I do and I don't often travel with others (although I do have friends and family that would also be interested in diving). I live near enough to Lake Erie, the Finger Lakes, the Thousand Islands and some other waterways to get some diving done I suppose, but I suspect that most of my logged dives or certification dives would come at resorts in the Bahamas, Central America, the Florida Keys, etc. and I honestly can't afford to be making 2 or 3 of those trips every year (maybe I could if that's all that I ever did, but I have other loves (fishing being one of them) and other family responsibilities).

I guess my point being that to get to the 100 dive minimum to even consider getting some sort of solo dive certification so I could occasionally enjoy this pursuit on my own might take me a lot of years and a ton of money. Now, to be clear, I do respect the serious nature and the inherent dangers of scuba diving and I'm not suggesting for one minute that I feel compelled or able to just wing it, go my own way and solo dive without following the proper steps. I'm just trying to point out the confusion that I feel and that many first time divers probably feel when reading stuff like this. I'm sure that some board members will say, "Hey, there are no shortcuts and if you want to end up dead, do as you please" and others will suggest, "Ah, relax, it's not as bad as it sometimes appears when you read these long threads and some of us are too self-important and think we know what's best for everyone". I really hope I can find a way to get appropriate training quickly enough to enjoy this as a retirement hobby without breaking the bank.

Just throwing it out there and thanking everyone for the discussion as I have enjoyed it.

First off, welcome to the board.

Secondly, there are no Scuba Police except online. A card or certification in solo diving is not going to make you competent/not competent. I would hate to think that you would shy away from this tremendous activity due to that. Get your OW, get wet, get comfortable in skill and knowledge, and then go from there.

Third, I bet you will find some folks you like diving with. All in all I have met nothing but great people who all share one love albeit sometimes in different ways.

First off, welcome to the board.

Secondly, there are no Scuba Police except online. A card or certification in solo diving is not going to make you competent/not competent. I would hate to think that you would shy away from this tremendous activity due to that. Get your OW, get wet, get comfortable in skill and knowledge, and then go from there.

Third, I bet you will find some folks you like diving with. All in all I have met nothing but great people who all share one love albeit sometimes in different ways.

Thanks so much saniflush. I tend to be rather independent and bullheaded, so yeah, I'll do precisely as you suggest and progress from there, but I did have some thoughts and wanted to share them. I suspect that I'm not alone amongst new or prospective divers and yes, I fully understand that not everyone has the same physical capacity and not everyone is as competent, as confident or as physically gifted as the next person, so it has to be an individual thing to some degree, at least within the bounds of legality and some measure of common sense.

Thanks so much saniflush. I tend to be rather independent and bullheaded,

You are gonna fit in fine. Pull a chair up to the table and jump right in.

Thanks so much saniflush. I tend to be rather independent and bullheaded, so yeah, I'll do precisely as you suggest and progress from there, but I did have some thoughts and wanted to share them. I suspect that I'm not alone amongst new or prospective divers and yes, I fully understand that not everyone has the same physical capacity and not everyone is as competent, as confident or as physically gifted as the next person, so it has to be an individual thing to some degree, at least within the bounds of legality and some measure of common sense.
I want to encourage to follow your desire to scuba dive. You are definitely not too old. My wife turns 60 this year. She got certified to dive when she was 58 years old in horrible Pacific NW conditions. She put it off forever because she didn't consider herself a strong swimmer. She absolutely loves diving now and I know you will also and as stated previously, you will find dive buddies. Probably some of the folks you may get certified with. All the best!

I want to encourage to follow your desire to scuba dive. You are definitely not too old. My wife turns 60 this year. She got certified to dive when she was 58 years old in horrible Pacific NW conditions. She put it off forever because she didn't consider herself a strong swimmer. She absolutely loves diving now and I know you will also and as stated previously, you will find dive buddies. Probably some of the folks you may get certified with. All the best!

Thank you. I do feel fortunate that in general I consider myself to be in much better condition than most guys my age and I've always been comfortable in and around the water, so I don't really see those issues as being impediments at all. Like most of the things that I enjoy, it's about the time and the money.

Thank you. I do feel fortunate that in general I consider myself to be in much better condition than most guys my age and I've always been comfortable in and around the water, so I don't really see those issues as being impediments at all. Like most of the things that I enjoy, it's about the time and the money.
Totally get that! It is not the cheapest hobby in the world, but I have found that once you have all of your own gear (if you go that route vs. renting); everything lasts forever, if you take care of it, and there are ways to dive that are less expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom