First solo dives!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(I kind of feel like I did something wrong since I’m not trained nor had a pony tank, but it was SO much fun!)

I was snorkeling off the coast of Maui (Kaanapali Beach) and it looked like the perfect place and conditions to try solo diving, so I did! It was amazing!! 60 minutes, 26ft max depth for the first tank I even practiced using my SMB since I haven’t done that yet. I was gonna do the second tank somewhere else, but having dropped my mask and snorkel finning back to shore, I decided to make #2 a practice Search and Recovery dive. Success!

What a feeling of freedom! I just played around underwater and saw 3 turtles, eels, lots of fish, and some nice coral structures. It was just like I dreamed Scuba would be before I started.
1. I don't see anything about this dive that could not have been done with a buddy.
2. All dives are successful until they are not. Just because this one went well does not mean the next one will.

It is being prepared through experience that allows you to turn emergencies into aggravations. tThat is why the 100-dive prerequisite for SDI and PADI solo classes. By the way, the SDI class long predated the PADI class, and PADI simply followed suit with the 100-dive prereq. So ask SDI why the 100. Not that I disagree with the 100. My experience in teaching the classes is that the level of task-loading (monitoring gas, navigating, doings tasks) is not something most folks can do right away. Just like holding depth while following a compass during the AOW nav dive is done poorly or not at all by most AOW students; imagine now adding on following a dive plan and monitoring gas usage every few minutes (part of the class).It takes a few dives to be able to pat your head and rub your stomach and tap your foot and chew gum and do math all at the same time.

I used to fly a hang glider and I did a few launches with nobody around. A thorough preflight was always a necessity, even when others were around to assist in a launch, and one of the most important preparations was to do a "hang check" to make sure that you were clipped in. If you weren't clipped in when you launched, you would likely be badly injured or die. With "buddies" around, it was easy to do the safety tasks, but it took experience, lots of repetition of safety tasks, to launch solo.

My mantra, especially when launching solo was, "complacency kills."

With 40 dives, I don't consider myself to be more than just a novice, but I have been in two solo situations. Once I got separated from a group, and surfaced following the anchor line of the wrong boat. The other time my buddy, a very experienced diver, told me to wait on the surface while he searched for and released a buoy that marked a small wreck at about 25 feet. I waited, then spotted the buoy, followed the line down, and no buddy! So after about a minute I surfaced, and he surfaced a few minutes later. It turned out that the buoy had freed itself.

Though it was just a small taste of solo diving, I enjoyed it. I look forward to getting up to 100 dives so that I can take the solo course.

Bill R., You've gotten some good advice, especially from Saniflush. There is a Solo subforum under the Tech. Forum, as you probably are aware. Solo is often a topic that creates some interesting friction on SB. The dangers of having no buddy vs. the dangers of having a bad buddy. Which is worse?, etc. When I was a newish diver I asked a guy if he'd like to buddy up and he said "No offense, you may be a great diver, but a buddy panicked once and almost caused me to drown. I only go by myself and basically very shallow looking for scallops".
I did my first solo dive as dive #76, not that that means much. My buddy moved and my location dictated it, or not dive as often as I'd like. I don't have the Solo Cert.--not available here. I rarely go much below 30 feet. If I plan a deep dive I will secure a buddy. But everyone has a different risk tolerance. I figure from shallow depths I can easily get to the surface in an emergency, and am very careful of entanglements.
I got certified age 51 and at 64 feel pretty much the same on a dive day (the day after may be a BIT different.....depending on how easy the entry/exit at the site is).
Oh yeah, expense. Doesn't have to break the bank. Buy good used stuff that works. Maybe stuff used for courses at a shop that go on sale after the season. You may want to rent this or that to see what you like. As long as you don't buy the latest costly gadget that comes out the equipment costs and maintenance can be pretty decent. I have 4 tanks and a reg. With other things here & there I may spend $200-250CAD a year on average (Air not included).
Go to the closest dive sites to get experience and save money.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom