First stage leaking. Cause?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dredgy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all.

So my first stage started leaking on Friday, the day before I was due to dive! Unfortunately the ferry over to the dive shop was late so they didn't have time to look at it and just gave me a rental set. The rental set (yoke) worked fine on my cylinder, but mine (DIN) doesn't seem to be sealing at all, as when I turn it on it just blows air right around the connection.

Obviously thought o-ring, so ordered some and they arrived today. Changing the o-ring doesn't seem to have had any effect, so unless I'm missing another one I'm not sure.

Picture of the DIN fitting
Picture of the fitting from the side (where the DIN conversion kit meets the second stage)
Picture of the tank valve with yoke inset removed

Video of the problem

Reg is a Mares 52X that I bought 6 months ago and had converted from yoke to DIN. There is nowhere close I can get these serviced so thought now is a good time to learn to repair. The problem also occurs when connected to the tank with DIN-yoke adapter and yoke inset, so I've ruled out any problems with the valve.

Any thoughts? Cheers

Could it be a failure of the o-ring at the base of the DIN fitting, where it is attached to the first stage; or is it just not seating? I faced a similar issue and that was the cause . . .

Could it be a failure of the o-ring at the base of the DIN fitting, where it is attached to the first stage; or is it just not seating? I faced a similar issue and that was the cause . . .

Is that the one in the first picture? If so, I have changed that o-ring a couple of times now to no avail. Or is there another one somewhere?
When I screw in the regulator, it feels normal.

Is that the one in the first picture? If so, I have changed that o-ring a couple of times now to no avail. Or is there another one somewhere?
When I screw in the regulator, it feels normal.

No, it is not the o-ring that seats against the tank, to which I was referring. It is the o-ring on the DIN fitting on the first stage side of the tube. If the DIN fitting could be removed -- unscrewed -- you may notice a damaged or blown o-ring that seals it to the first stage body . . .

No, it is not the o-ring that seats against the tank, to which I was referring. It is the o-ring on the DIN fitting on the first stage side of the tube. If the DIN fitting could be removed -- unscrewed -- you may notice a damaged or blown o-ring that seats it against the first stage . . .

This seems likely. It can be removed, I'm not sure how, but I'll give it a shot (anybody who does know feel free to chime in!). Thanks alot!

With my regs, the DIN fitting can be removed with an Allen wrench, placed in the same opening as the sintered filter, to remove the connecting stem . . .

With my regs, the DIN fitting can be removed with an Allen wrench, placed in the same opening as the sintered filter, to remove the connecting stem . . .

I was starting to do that and decided to take the second stages off to make it easier and voila...it was the o-ring on the octopus that had gone. Didn't feel like that from the air coming out but I was obviously wrong.

Thanks for the help, it was greatly appreciated.

An easy fix!

Next time you have a leak, dip the entire config in the water. maybe a bathtub If you are at home. This is a quick way to deterring where the bubbles are coming from and where to start trouble shooting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom