First time Cenote Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

esitzes

New
Reaction score
I am heading to Playa del Carmen in two weeks(staying in Playa). I really appreciate some help with dive operator and a good one day cenote dive trip. Thanks for helping!!!

I am heading to Playa del Carmen in two weeks(staying in Playa). I really appreciate some help with dive operator and a good one day cenote dive trip. Thanks for helping!!!

We were there back in December, and dove off shore and centoes with The Abyss Dive Center. For the cenotes, we dove with a dive guide named Armando, very knowledgeable and personable diver.

Take a look at Geofish. They set up a nice package for us. We will be back with them in June.

I would highly recommend Dennis Weeks of Diablo Divers, or his partner, Natalie. Dennis is a very nice man and a good cave instructor (I took my Full Cave from him) and he knows the caves well.

Another option would be German Yanez of Yucatech. He lives on Cozumel but guides on the mainland, and since he has to come through Playa anyway, picking you up there wouldn't be an issue. He is also a lovely man, a cave instructor, and an experienced cave explorer.

$$$$$

I agree that Dennis has a good reputation (and he deserves it) but if you are looking at booking a package with only one dive day set aside for the cenotes then other options may be more viable. It is customary for Dive Ops to 'package price' multiple dive days that result in sicnificant $$ savings. If you are staying in Playa then it could be to your advantage to e-mail several Ops and get a price on the specifics of your trip. I arrange a week long dive trip each year for myself and a couple of friends and have seen a wide variation on prices. Last years trip was 17 dives spread over 6 days that included two days (2 tank + 3 tank) in the cenotes plus a night dive and we paid 540$US p/p. That averaged out to about 31.50 per tank (before tip). Usually cenote and night dives are a premium. Cenote dives can run 90 to 110$US for two tanks.
You may want to base your Dive OP selection on the proximity to the beach and the size and comfort of the boat. I don't like hauling my gear any farther than I have to so I have some favorites as far as Ops go. I would contact GeoFish, Scuba Playa, Cyan Ha for starters. They are all close to the beach and have good quality boats. You may just want to find the closest shop to where you are staying just for convenience sake.

IMG_2470.jpg

You will find GeoFish and Scuba Playa right around the corner from this familiar Playa landmark (Calle 10 at Avenida 1).

IMG_2490.jpg

Cyan Ha can be found at Shangrila beach in front of the Las Palapas resort.

All the dive operations have access to cenote trips and since it is your first time to the cenotes then Dos Ojos may be best for you. It is commonly used and because it has seen such heavy traffic there is less likelyhood that first timers can cause any more damage than has already been done. This is not a comment on your skill level but a suggestion 'in general' for someone's first cenote dive. Once you catch the cenote 'bug' you can check out Dreamgate, Mystic River (also called Cemetery I believe) and The Pit.

Enjoy your vacation and send a report when you return.

Another huge proponent of Dennis Weeks. I cannot say enough good things about Dennis as a person or a cenote guide.

For those interested in cenotes, Dennis is the perfect person to dive with. He is thoughtful and attentive, and has the utmost respect for cave safety and conservation. He's one of the Safety Officers for the Mexico, and is very active in making positive contributions to the local diving community.

Hey, you could also visit us, we are Scuba 10, dive shop, we are located just 2 blocks away form the beach, we have 2 boats in good conditions, and we can offer dives in Playa del Carmen, Cozumel and Cenotes.
We are located half block away from Cocobongo, our adress 10 Ave. between 10 and 12 north.
The Cenote diving for beginers is in 85 usd includes 2 dives

scuba10 | Facebook

Back
Top Bottom