First Time Diving in Cabo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hqduong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
CAn someone tell me how is the diving in Cabo? I never dove there and wonder what I can expect and what sites I should see? I've been to Cozumel and I understand it's very different this side of the coast.

There are some good sites right in the bay...Pelican Rock and Neptune's Finger are two of my favorites. You also have the Sea Lion Colony with the chance to dive with sea lions. There are a number of other sites stretching down the Corridor towards San Jose. Gordo Banks is an advanced site with an opportunity to see hammerheads and other pelagics. Further afield is Cabo Pulmo..possible to do on a day trip from Cabo but pretty far. This time of year you'd probably find water temps in the 70 degree range and, very different from Cozumel, there's essentially no coral. I wouldn't consider any of the dive conditions particularly difficult (save for Gordo Banks). I always dive with, and really recommend, Sunshine Dive in Cabo

I agree, there are some amazing sites. Well worth it, we dove there last year and had an incredible time. I highly recommend barefootdivepro, Peter and janneke are the owners and are incredible!

Cool I'm also looking for places to go in Cabos San Lucas. I'll be there on a wedding the two weeks after Auguest 25th if anyone is there at the same time.

We will be there in July. It is also our first dive trip outside of the Caribbean. While I am not anticipating the water visibility to be as good as Cozumel or the colorful corals, the different sea life should be interesting. We are booked with Sunshine Divers. Is there any particular season that the hammerheads are more plentiful? Looks like I will be missing the whale sharks:crying:

1)
When is whale shark season?
Some website have contradictory dates.

The one that makes the most sense is from end-of-winter @ end-of-spring.

2)
Also can anyone recommend a dive shop where they actually went in and checked the compressor and stuff?
I don't want to die like that poor lady did at the start of the months in Los Cabos.
I'll be bringing a CO & Nitrox checker anyways. But I still want to be safe and take the best dive shop, price is not an issue. If I have to dive less but safer, I'll gladly do it.

Thanks

---------- Post added April 16th, 2012 at 03:21 PM ----------

BTW, I've found a dive shop that was recommended by another fellow diver on another forum.

Nautilus Dive tech
Nautilus DIVE TECH - diving at a whole new level.

You can analyze your own tank with a supplied CO analyzer at the diveshop. Sound like a pretty smart business investment. Make sure everyone's safe.

Last edited:
Hi,

I just got back from Los Cabos, and did 4 trips with Sunshine Dive & Charter. I was very happy with the service provided, plan to dive with them again on future trips, and can recommend them. Very professional, knowledgable and friendly staff.
thumbs-up.gif

All 8 dives I did were in the bay and were enjoyable. I particularly liked Lands End (which included a visit with the sea lions), Neptune's Finger, and Middle Wall. However, there aren't that many sites so I would suggest that you get confirmation that they're able to take you out of the bay into the Corridor or further afield if you are going to do more than 3 or 4 trips and want to get to a variety of dive sites. As mentioned above, no hard coral to speak of but common soft coral. Lots of fish, however.

I did bring along both CO and O2 analyzers, and used them with no unexpected results (30% O2 (the "house blend") and 0ppm CO).

Water temp at depth ranged from about 64-70 F, and I did get a bit chilly on one dive in my 5/4 wetsuit (without gloves or hood). But, not chilly enough for me to want to suit up more.

Very enjoyable diving and a great place to visit. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom