First time Diving in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

old gaffer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings Scuba Board Divers!

I will be going to Coz on a cruise next november. I have snorkeled but never dove in the ocean before. I was certified NAUI back in the 70's and did freshwater diving never below 40' and gave up the sport in 1980. I just recertified PADI in September. Did my open water dives in Lake Superior and have been a volunteer diver at the Duluth Great Lakes Aquarium over the winter (doing up again superbowl sunday. I intend to do alot of local lake diving over the upcoming summer (most of which will be shallow) and I do intend to do some wreck diving on Superior which will be deeper dives.

My question for you is this: I have one day to dive on Coz and I want to choose the best two tank dive that will fit my experience level. Any help?

PS: I will also have a day in Costa Maya and Belize and would welcome any recommendations there as well.

Gaffer

I just got back from Coz and enjoyed the Palancar dives the most. Bricks, Caves, or Gardens. You won't be dissapointed.

Dive site choices change per day as the weather conditions permit and what the DM's have experienced on them over the past few dives. So suggesting specific dives might be a little hard. They're all great, compared to any lake I've been in!

Being this is your first trip to Coz and Minn. lake diving has been your experience, you'll love just about any of the sites.

Time may be and issue also coming off a cruise boat, you may only be able to go to some of the sites more northern in the park than the far southern sites just because of time restraints. I hear there's nothing worse on vacation than seeing your own cruise ship sailing away!

I think Dive with Martin does a lot of cruise ship divers, because their shop is right at the International Peir. They are one of my top 5 ops and always highly recommend them.

The bottom line is, whoever you dive with, the DM should be able to asses your level and the level of all diver's on the boat and take you to a site that will both impress and bring you back safely.

As previously stated above, Palancar anything or Columbia for the 1st tank(huge coral heads with swim throughs,) then ask the DM where the currents are running at a slower clip for your 2nd dive. I like Santa Rosa shallows, Columbia shallows, La Francescia for 2nd dives. Sometimes these shallow drift dives are more laid back than other "rocket propelled" drifts. It just depends on the currents that day....Whatever you do, just get neutral, relax, and glide. All of Cozumel dives are in extremely clear water and all offer their own token of beauty. Watch your gages and enjoy yourself!!!

Check with your cruise ship and see which Dive shop they use. The only way you are guaranteed that the ship would wait for you (in the event that the dive ran late, dive boat ran out of gas of any of your worst case situations arose) is to book with whoever they use.
Christie has given good advise in the past regarding this situation. Regardless, you will have great diving!!

tlmainer:
Check with your cruise ship and see which Dive shop they use. The only way you are guaranteed that the ship would wait for you (in the event that the dive ran late, dive boat ran out of gas of any of your worst case situations arose) is to book with whoever they use.
Christie has given good advise in the past regarding this situation. Regardless, you will have great diving!!

The ship is not going to tell hthem what dive shop they use due to contractual obligations. They must go throght the ship to book witht eh cruise ship operator.

There is really no excuse for a dive boat running out of gas here. However, it is true that even the most vigilently maintained boats can have unexpected problems causing delays. It's rare, but it does happen.

old gaffer:
Greetings Scuba Board Divers!

I will be going to Coz on a cruise next november. I have snorkeled but never dove in the ocean before. I was certified NAUI back in the 70's and did freshwater diving never below 40' and gave up the sport in 1980. I just recertified PADI in September. Did my open water dives in Lake Superior and have been a volunteer diver at the Duluth Great Lakes Aquarium over the winter (doing up again superbowl sunday. I intend to do alot of local lake diving over the upcoming summer (most of which will be shallow) and I do intend to do some wreck diving on Superior which will be deeper dives.

My question for you is this: I have one day to dive on Coz and I want to choose the best two tank dive that will fit my experience level. Any help?

PS: I will also have a day in Costa Maya and Belize and would welcome any recommendations there as well.

Gaffer

Gaffer, Choosing THE best 2 tank dive in Cozumel can be difficult. What is my BEST dive, will most likely not be someone elses best dive. IMMHO, First, read the info here on Scubaboard. If your time allows you to dive privately with a Dive-op, then research who you feel would be a good choice or choices and then contact the business by email or phone directly to see if they can accomodate you. If you choose to stay with the ship, then that is good too. Once you are settled on this choice, then, leave the dive site up to fate. If you go with the ship, then, most likely you will go where they take you. With a private dive op, you may just want to let it be, and go with the flow. DH and I have been diving to Cozumel often while cruising and for the past few years while on land based vacations. We read the info that was out there, then contacted Blue XT SEA. By great luck our ship schedule allowed us to dive with Christi and we have been dedicated Blue XT SEA divers ever since. I guess overall , what I am saying is, your on vacation, relax. Let your Dive Op and/or divemaster know about your experience level and then just embrace your first ocean diving with no strings attached. (Then, go back to Coz on a land based vacation and EXPLORE !!! ) Enjoy your vacation, have a great time. Sue Sue

Never been on a cruise, but last time I was in Coz. Blue Angel had a 10 a.m. boat going out if time is a concern.

The DM will get you to the best sites depending on the conditions of the day. Don't worry about what site you dive...it's all good.

Listen to Christi.

Sharky and Sue Sue have some good points also. (Sharky, when ya gonna show up at a Swampers dive?).

Costa Maya and Belize? Don't have a clue.

Cruise ship dive op. or destination op.? Don't have a clue on that either...I just do land based stuff.

Thanks to All for the quick response and great info!

Gaffer

old gaffer:
Thanks to All for the quick response and great info!

Gaffer
One more point: No matter what your C card says, the Coz dive ops probably won't take you to the more advanced sites if the day you dive with them is their first contact with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom