First time out with new DSS rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deadly_risk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok, I had my new DSS rig out in a 14.6’ deep pool today. I bribed a freelance PADI instructor with a six pack to come help me with weighting and buoyancy, and to bring a reg set and weights I could borrow, so I didn’t have to rent them. I ordered on Tobin’s suggestion a Large Kydex back plate and a Torus 17 along with the standard HOG harness.

Me:
• 6’2” Tall
• 210lbs
• 3/2mm Scubapro Everflex Steamer
• 2.5/0.5mm hooded vest
• Large Scubapro Twin Jet Max
• AL80 with 2,000PSI, ended the dive with 1,000PSI

With 7 pounds and no air in the wing I could sink on exhale only, but came right back up with inhale. With no other gear (no lights and only the knife sheath) and 9 pounds on a weight belt I could slowly descend after dumping all the wing air.

I felt very buoyant, but sank anyway. I was able to perform fin pivots with NO air in the wing. I was able to hover with three squirts of air (how is that for a measurement?), but if I rose more than a few feet from the bottom I would really start moving up.

I use to have a hard time trying to stay horizontal, I constantly went fins down, in this rig it is much easier for me to stay horizontal. If I stop moving, I only gradually tilt fins down. I’m sure with adjusting things and experience I can fix that.

As for the harness fit, I arranged it according to the BAUE instructions. On land, it felt just fine, in the water the shoulder straps raised off my shoulders and the crotch strap became tight.

I really like this rig compared to the Zeagle Gulf I rented for my OW.

I would love to hear any constructive criticism or suggestions. I’m very new to diving, and new to owning my own equipment so I’m just playing around with everything.

My only comment is that I'm jealous!

Hey I see you're in Corpus...where do you dive down there? I'm up in the Dallas Fort Worth area. Do you go out off Padre or the Flower Gardens?

CTB

My only comment is that I'm jealous!

Hey I see you're in Corpus...where do you dive down there? I'm up in the Dallas Fort Worth area. Do you go out off Padre or the Flower Gardens?

CTB

I go to Lake Travis in Austin, or Mammoth lake in Lake Jackson. The Texas clipper off south padre is 3 or 4 hours drive south of Corpus, and the flower gardens seems to be a little more of a trip than I feel up to currently.

I found the first time that I had to tighten my waist strap just a touch more, it wasn't tight to begin with but after doing that it stopped riding up. Don't over tighten your crotch strap and for me, I noticed that tightening the shoulder straps to 2 fingers gave me a very comfortable fit as I probably had just a little more slack there. I noticed many of the same benefits as you did and I'm sure the more I dive with it the better it will be. I know I am a LOT more comfortable and don't feel like I am constricting my chest/stomach anymore from my previous BCD.

I go to Lake Travis in Austin, or Mammoth lake in Lake Jackson. The Texas clipper off south padre is 3 or 4 hours drive south of Corpus, and the flower gardens seems to be a little more of a trip than I feel up to currently.

If you need a dive buddy, let me know and I might be able to meet you in Austin and go to Travis. My sister and a few buddies live in Austin so I could stay there and make a weekend of it even.

Ok, I had my new DSS rig out in a 14.6’ deep pool today. I bribed a freelance PADI instructor with a six pack to come help me with weighting and buoyancy, and to bring a reg set and weights I could borrow, so I didn’t have to rent them. I ordered on Tobin’s suggestion a Large Kydex back plate and a Torus 17 along with the standard HOG harness.

Me:
• 6’2” Tall
• 210lbs
• 3/2mm Scubapro Everflex Steamer
• 2.5/0.5mm hooded vest
• Large Scubapro Twin Jet Max
• AL80 with 2,000PSI, ended the dive with 1,000PSI

With 7 pounds and no air in the wing I could sink on exhale only, but came right back up with inhale. With no other gear (no lights and only the knife sheath) and 9 pounds on a weight belt I could slowly descend after dumping all the wing air.

I felt very buoyant, but sank anyway. I was able to perform fin pivots with NO air in the wing. I was able to hover with three squirts of air (how is that for a measurement?), but if I rose more than a few feet from the bottom I would really start moving up.

I use to have a hard time trying to stay horizontal, I constantly went fins down, in this rig it is much easier for me to stay horizontal. If I stop moving, I only gradually tilt fins down. I’m sure with adjusting things and experience I can fix that.

As for the harness fit, I arranged it according to the BAUE instructions. On land, it felt just fine, in the water the shoulder straps raised off my shoulders and the crotch strap became tight.

I have nothing specific to add. You are getting some sound advice already.

What I do want say is new rigs require "tweeking" and "re-tweeking"

As you adapt to the BP&W, and your technique improves, for example Dumping via the OPV vs the inflator, clipping off a primary regulator to the right chest dring, or using the left dring for your SPG on a 24" hose, you will very likely find yourself making small adjustments to the harness and to the Dring position.

You really can't do this day one, you need to dive it a while.

At some point you will find everything is in a "natural" position, and you are no longer even thinking about it. Then you are done.

Tobin

Why buy a Kydex back plate and then put nine pounds of lead on a weight belt? A SS plate would put most of that weight over your lungs, instead of back toward your feet.

Why buy a Kydex back plate and then put nine pounds of lead on a weight belt? A SS plate would put most of that weight over your lungs, instead of back toward your feet.

I agree completely, but a Kydex plate and thin suit allows for the use of negative steel tanks without being overweighted.

IIRC, (and that's a leap considering the number of divers I talk with in any given week)
the OP included a requirement for 3mm suits and steel tanks.

Tobin

Good question.

Today or tomorrow I'm going to go back out with a steel tank (which I will be diving much more of than the borrowed AL) and set up with all my crap. Primary and backup light, compass and the like and see how much weight I need then. I'll post back here and get opinions on rather or not a Kydex is still the best choice or not.

Edit: And Tobin already answered. I don't normally use AL tanks, so I still have not actually worked out how much weight I need in common practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom