First Time Shooting - Initial Settings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverMo

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I just finished my DIY videocam housing, and NO LEAKS!!! Now, normally I would just play around and find what works, and what doesn't. Problem is, I am leaving for Cozumel in 3 weeks, and won't have but once or twice to play with it in the water. So I am hoping maybe someone can get me pointed in the right direction as far as settings go. The camera is a Sony Hi-8, not even digital.

Question 1: Should the focus setting be on auto, or manual? If manual, at what distance do I set the focus to?

Question 2: I have a flat lens/port. Zooming in and out is not possible at this point. Is it better to have it zoomed all the way out at this point, or zoomed in a little?

Question 3: Can white balance be left on auto?

Question 4: Are there any other settings I should be concerned about? Are there any suggestions or tips you might have to save me a little grief (other than get out while I still can)?

Thanks for anything that may help.

MO

DiverMo:
Question 1: Should the focus setting be on auto, or manual? If manual, at what distance do I set the focus to?
I do both, but I have the control to change to/from a/f. If you leave it on autofocus, the camera will try to a/f on the surface, cloudiness in the water and possibly fast moving objects. Most of the "booming" of the a/f can be fixed during editing. I generally leave my camera A/F on most of the time, the only time I take it off is if I'm filming close-up or macro work. You could probably also get very acceptable results by manually focusing 2-3' out, anything further than that will look to be in focus due to some principle I can't explain.
Question 2: I have a flat lens/port. Zooming in and out is not possible at this point. Is it better to have it zoomed all the way out at this point, or zoomed in a little?
I zoom my camera out 1-2 "clicks" so that the inside edge of the port isn't in my video.
I do, I have no way to change it either. Get a red filter for blue water before you go to Coz. From U/R Pro.
Question 4: Are there any other settings I should be concerned about? Are there any suggestions or tips you might have to save me a little grief (other than get out while I still can)?
If you can see the remote port after your camera is sealed in your housing carry the remote on any trips you make and use it to start/stop the camera. A Hi8 camera will power down in 15min to save the battery life so if you seal it pre-dive, it might not be able to be woken up in the housing when you're ready. Especially if you seal it at the hotel and have a long trip out to the divesite.

I use auto-focus, auto white balance (although I think I'm going to start playing with manual) and generally as wide angle as it will go. Less water between you and your 'subject' will give the best quality. In fact I've precently purchased a wide angle adaptor and now I have to modify the front plate of my housing. I did build in a zoom control, but if doing it again wouldn't bother.

Groundhog246:
I use auto-focus, auto white balance (although I think I'm going to start playing with manual) and generally as wide angle as it will go. Less water between you and your 'subject' will give the best quality. In fact I've precently purchased a wide angle adaptor and now I have to modify the front plate of my housing. I did build in a zoom control, but if doing it again wouldn't bother.

I'm new to videography.....can you explain why you have to modify the front plate????

Hi DiverMo,

DiverMo:

I'd rather leave it in AUTO mode, since your housing is DIY, I don't think it has a LANC control (does it?!?!), so that you can change it during the dive. So most of the times, you'll need autofocus.

DiverMo:

Unless obligatory, try avoiding zooming while shooting. It makes the audience dizzy if you use it often and fast. Pros use zooming to better focus a macro shooting.

DiverMo:

AUTO will do OK but if you leave it manual don't forget to take a white slate with you to set it in different depths. Can you put on a red filter...?

DiverMo:

Do your best not to shake it. Try to move your camera very slowly, or better let the subject move in front of it while you stand still. You can try to take a tripod down. Use your viewfinder or LCD to keep the subject inside the view..:)

These are the rules of thumb for me. Hope they work for you...

Regards
Yener

yceltikci:
You can try to take a tripod down.

just wondering.... do you have a TRIPOD that will 'survive' in salt water or do you just use an inexpensive one that will last a few times and then 'get chucked'?

Back
Top Bottom