First Time to CCV with Wife & jr divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once she gets certified we would like to take her somewhere diving, but not sure where the best place would be. We do understand that she will be limited to 40 ft. I have no problem staying that shallow. To me, that's where the good stuff is. So if anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear from you.

Have you seen the threads about the Blue Heron Bridge in Florida? Basically, limited by tidal issues, but shallow water diving.

I've done 4 dives with Admiralty Dive in St. Thomas, 2 training years ago, 2 just recreational last November, and only 1 dive was over 40 feet (43.87 feet at Armando's Paradise).

Bonaire you know about of course; the Cliff would be a good shallow diving site.

Richard.

Jeff - it isn't a problem about staying shallow, it is that some of the reefs may not accommodate that profile as well as the fact she must be with a DM at age 10-11. So not only do you need to pay for a DM to dive with her on every dive, but some of the boat dives may not be available as they are deeper than the 40' restriction. It is also not recommended for a 10-11 year old to do more than 2 dives per day, due to bone growth concerns.

My daughter was certified at 12, was 5' tall at the time so near her full height and body size, but she was overwhelmingly tired after 2 dives each day. All she wanted to do after that was eat and do anything non-water related. It took her a few years before she wanted to dive dive dive, and by then she was 5'6" and 30lbs heavier, so not so tired out.

Also, I cannot see a 10 year old being happy at CCV. There is nothing to do but dive and talk about diving, or sit in room and watch videos on a laptop. Seriously, I would not consider CCV until she is a few years older.

Bonaire is a much better choice for you with a 10 year old, as far as diving depth and no current, good fishlife, etc.

robin

No one asked but I made my kids wait till age 12 to become certified and I make relatives kids wait to age 14 (if I have primary responsibility for them on a dive trip).

Last summer GypsyJim and I took Nieces/grand daughter on their first dive trip (to Bonaire). They were both 14.

Last edited:
Wow - another Haigh Quarry victim!. My 11 year old and 13 year old daughters got their training a year ago. We planned to get their open water dives completed at Beaches TCI last June. However, the resort was closed due to a norovirus outbreak and we delayed the trip to Thanksgiving week.

I did not want to wait that long for the completion of the OW course so I sent them to Haigh Quarry. When we got to the actual trip they were ready to go. They got in a few dives and really wanted more - so I am planning a specific dive vacation for the whole family. The cattle boats holding 3/4 large groups created more stress for my wife and I since we were keeping an eye on the kids all the time and getting off/on the boat was too hectic. The diving was ok but I want a different environment to really build experience the way I did when young. back then there were no BCDs - just an emergency vest with CO2 cartridge.

I have been diving since 1974, my wife is fairly new and now with the kids I really wanted to find a place with easy and comfortable diving at shallow depths. By creating pro/con lists for various places CCV appears to have a good fit for superb diving with excellent guides and smaller groups with the 40" depth limits. The option of shore and boat diving is also a plus.

A large part of this also depends on the nature of the child in question. Having seen my girls dive in open ocean already I am more comfortable with challenging them with more diving - they are strong enough swimmers and have exercised good judgment in skipping second dives when they were tired or not feeling up to it.

I have almost finalized the CCV trip for next March and the responses here have been very helpful in the decision. The PADI site states that 10-11 year olds must dive with DM OR parent/guardian so the shore dives at CCV sound ideal.

We've been to CCV with youngins from others our group ranging from just certified jr divers through late teens.

All were there to dive and made use of the shore dive (the Front Yard and the upper reaches of the Prince Albert is well within jr depth livings) as well as the shallower boat dives (including the wall drop offs).

They were there to dive though -- no whiners about the diving or the conditions but some of them were upset about the food tasting different than what they were used to.

Your gut check will be when you & your wife want to go on a dive and they don't ... or vice versus. How will you handle the situation?

CCV and a few classes with Alejandra or Patty for the girls. A is fantastic with younger divers, and will show them extraordinary critters right in the front yard.

Bali1, I have no experience with Roatan but your family description sounds very much like ours and Bonaire which we do have experience with sounds like an option to consider if you are planning a dive vacation. My wife has problems on boats and very much prefers the single tank dives in almost always calm waters off Bonaire. Diving shallows, especially on a house reef is tailored made for a family with young teens with depth limits and a spouse with boat issues. My teens did their open water in Bon and it was perfect for building their experience and confidence.

Bali1, I would agree with the comments by tkaelin. Having been to both CCV and Bonaire, I'd opt to take the kids to Bonaire.

I would agree in going to Bonaire over CCV - ESPECIALLY if this is the kids first dive trip!

Not their first trip. They already have some experience in TCI at Beaches resort. Their enthusiasm for intense diving after TCI is what triggered this search in the first place.

Insofar as my wife is concerned I think the boat issue is more of a function or cattle boats than real problems regarding stamina or disliking boats. She handled boats just fine in both Cozumel and Menjangen.

Bonaire is definitely on the list now. I'll do some checking.

One thing which will favor CCV is that I can get the girls in some classes for special dives. The PADI shop there confirmed that I can send my younger daughter to these classes but she would not receive credit for advanced certification for those classes with higher age requirements. So I can add goal oriented training to just diving to keep them further occupied.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom