First Time to CCV with Wife & jr divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Insofar as my wife is concerned I think the boat issue is more of a function or cattle boats than real problems regarding stamina or disliking boats. She handled boats just fine in both Cozumel and Menjangen.

Bonaire is definitely on the list now. I'll do some checking.

One thing which will favor CCV is that I can get the girls in some classes for special dives. The PADI shop there confirmed that I can send my younger daughter to these classes but she would not receive credit for advanced certification for those classes with higher age requirements. So I can add goal oriented training to just diving to keep them further occupied.

The CCV boats are huge and sparsely populated. They are set up to carry 60 some tanks, but usually are assigned 16 divers (using 32 tanks). You are likely to have 6' between each diver station, if you want that. Very simple. Lots of personal space, I say the best there is. Have a look: http://s221.photobucket.com/user/Doc_Adelman/library/CoCoView Explained in Pictures?sort=6&page=1

Bonaire deserves to be on every diver's list, let me tell you there is a huge distinction in their shore diving vs CCV~ I am very surprised that so far no one who has really seen both has not yet pointed that out in any way.

In Bonaire, shore diving actually qualifies as an advanced skill. Combine an entry over broken rip-rap coral, in waves. Add to this the need to swim against current to start, then on return, trying to figure out when to exit. There are tricks, but there is a leaning curve and the waves and footing can be tough on kids and less-than-steady folks.

CCV's shore dive is basically a swimming pool with a sloped sand walkway entry. It's really a no brainer and if someone were asking me for a "shore dive" training exercise, it would hardly qualify as an exposure to most situations found anywhere else. It's just plain easy.

That dovetails in very well with the quality of instruction that is offered by Patty Grier and her staff at Dockside Dive Center. She specializes in what you are looking for. She's been at it for so long, I earned my DM from her!

Don't fret the "getting credit" issue because of their age. No one can take the experience away or invalidate it. They don't need the AOW card, they need the knowledge... and they'll get it.

Here's a "CCV Front Yard Shore Dive" video from RobinT (From Post #2) http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/459620-video-diving-front-yard-cocoview-resort.html

Doc, I know you love ccv, and it is probably justified, but 16 divers.... yikes! I don't care how big and comfortable the boat is (and I do like comfort) I don't wanna dive with 12 other people. We did 2 weeks at RHR a couple years ago and really enjoyed it, but the 4 of us + 3 or 4 more we had on the boat was about more than I cared for. Do they split into 2 or more groups at ccv?

Give me Bonaire where it is me, my bride and my 2 daughters. I had my girls take turns leading the way (11 and 13 I think) on our first trip to bon, from getting in to reciprocal compass heading on return - it is really not an advanced thing at all. And the resort docks are mostly really really easy if you want to stick to those.

Besides, my bride gets seasick in the bathtub - RHR was not her cup of tea. So if I'm gonna do CCV (and I have been stewing on it and reading these threads) it will be by myself (girls are grown and off the payroll - yay!).

GBF - I think you missunderstand about the CCV boats. They CAN hold that many people, but only usually GROUPS which want all on one boat together will you ever see it. My trip, just a few weeks ago, we had 8 divers most days, and added in a few extras once they finished their certification. That said... 2 of the divers went off and did their own thing most dives. We didn't even see them until the 60 minute dive time limit when they got back on the boat. And the 2 new divers were with their instructor off a different direction the first few days, so we didn't see them until the end of the dive.

And the "drop off dives" are where you go off and do your own thing. Some divers just swim right back into the resort, some people spend as much time underwater as they can, looking around for specific things or in a special area. Total freedom, just like we want on our trips.

Check out my videos to get a better idea of what we mean.

robin

Hi robin,

I've looked at your videos, and stills too, and they are fabulous-the green monster is alive and well with respect to your skills. Your stuff is what has me fired up about giving CCV a try by myself.

But when I take my troops for 2 weeks we go to Bonaire - not even a chance that we'll be on a boat with a crowd, large or small. (Try taking 4 on a 2 wk trip - talk about yike$!!)

Ease of shore entry had occurred to me and again is another point in favor of CCV. I am glad of your assessment of the Dockside Dive center - I am picky about instructors (especially where my daughters are concerned) and this helps tremendously. I am not worried about the credit, just noting the circumstances.

I have already seen the Front Yard Video (thanks RobinT) and it looks wonderful.

Thanks all for the input. I appreciate everyone's views.

I was at CCV 2 years ago, and made "instant friends" with a family on our boat; grandpa, grandma, instructor buddy, mom, & 2 daughters (11 and 13 at the time, I think). One other person, my "instant buddy". That was it. The other boats had clubs. If the weather is blowing, just do the shore dive. Lots of things to do; no dive the same twice. If the weather is fine, do the boat. Our boat didn't have the center well, but it was fine. The daughters skipped a few dives early, but by the end of the week, they were on every boat, every dive. They tried a night dive, but called it. No sweat; I'm actually glad that they had the courage to call the dive; that probably means that in the future, when they try again, they'll be more comfortable.

The first boat dive is never crowded--each boat goes to a different moored dive site. On the first boat dives, you can follow the DM--or not. The dive briefing shows you the area map, and whether your pickup is where the boat is parked, or whether the boat will go to a different pickup point. If you choose to follow the DM, it's at your own depth & pace. If you just want to shoot photos at one spot, that's fine. If you want to explore around, no big deal. (Some of the reefs are a bit like mazes if you drop below the coral tops; then, you just rise 6 ft and peek above the coral tops to figure out where everyone else is--look for their bubbles). Other boat dives are on walls, so if you don't feel like going to 70 ft (or whatever), you just hang at the top of the wall. I think Calvin's does force you to 90 ft at the exit, so avoid that one, if you're concerned about maximum depth--you can hang out at the top of the wall instead of going thru the crevice.

Second boat dives are the dropoff dives--CCV wall and Newman's wall. Your depth, and your choice of walls (they advise CCV wall in the morning and Newman's in the afternoon, based on direction of the sun--but I could be confused). Swim back to the resort--don't go the wrong way! (We picked up a couple who swam the wrong way; ran out of air, and surfaced). The return wall dive can get crowded, as all the boats drop near the same area. If you're feeling antisocial, you can just find a different depth, pace, or use the opposite wall.

Pay attention (and make sure your family pays attention) during the orientation shore dive. When you return (or go out) on CCV wall, there's a "false" canyon that leads you astray (very rough shallow coral reef, rather than back to the shore entry). Learn to get back to the wreck before heading back to the shore. Likewise, pay attention to navigating from Newman's wall back to the shore entry, so that if you choose to go night diving on Newman's wall, you can navigate without the ignominy of the surface swim back to the resort because you got confused :)

I think your children will be fine, especially if you bring a laptop or other device & a few movies. Mind you, the accommodations are not luxurious. If you're used to 5-star hotels, this is not it. Clean & comfortable is how I would rate it.

If your wife is comfortable in the water, she'll enjoy CCV. If the seas look rough or if it's windy, just do the shore dive. You could spend every day of your vacation just doing the shore dive, and discover something new every dive; robint's video is great.

I also love the night dives. I did my first night dive at CCV, and after that, you couldn't stop me--rain, moonlight, lobster, octopus, giant shrimp (is that an oxymoron?), parrotfish in cocoons, morays, plankton--the only thing I didn't see (because of moonlight) was bioluminescence.

As the others have said, it's very well set up for diving. If my children were divers, I would not hesitate to take them to CCV.

That said, any decision you make, you'll enjoy it. I'm looking forward to being at CCV again next month.

I've been to CCV many times. I don't think we ever had more than 12 on a boat at one time. There were days when even that seemed too much, so we dove front yard or swam out to the walls...all spectacular dives.

For kid's diving, CCV can't be beat. My suggestion would be to book something with the dive center, Dockside. They are fantastic with kids, and are incredibly sweet people. It might ease your wife back into diving as well.

Imo, if your wife handled Cozumel, Roatan should be a breeze. Bonaire is great too, but more pricey, by quite a bit. Whatever you do, have fun blowing bubbles!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom