First time to Cozumel -- how much is too much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, two tanks in the morning and maybe an afternoon shore dive or a night dive fills the bill. YMMV.

I'm a soft 50-year-old office worker who's embarking on something entirely new here!

I'm about your age and a morning 2 tank dive is all I care to do these days. When I was younger I could dive far more per day but these days I tend to take a siesta in the afternoon after diving before heading out for a great dinner. If you will be diving Coz the end of Feb, get yourself a 5MM full suit and a 3MM tropic beanie. 15 years ago I could dive in 79-80 degree water in a 3MM full suit with no beanie... That changed over time and I added the beanie several years ago and then went up to a 5MM full suit last year. Getting chilled SUCKS and it sucks the energy out of you. You'll need to add weight to get down with a 5MM but being warm as toast UW and watching other's shivering on the boat during the SI I'm happy to add weight and not be part of that.

Fantastic advice here, as expected. Much appreciated, all.

I think we'll be going with a 2-tank dive every morning, with one night dive for the experience. We may toss in for an afternoon 2-tank outing, if we're feeling up to it. It'll leave us free to enjoy the afternoons/evenings -- a good plan since we're going during Carnival!

A couple people asked about a dive computer; I do indeed own one (Cosmiq Deepblu), so I'll be able to keep track of my SIs. I'm seriously contemplating getting Nitrox certified, as I understand that will help with fatigue over a 10-12 dive trip. I also have a 3mm wetsuit (along with a rashguard), which I was planning on bringing. I found in Aruba & Bonaire I didn't need the wetsuit, but I'm thinking with 10-12 dives planned, it might be better to stay as warm as possible.

+1 on the beanie/hood. Makes a world of difference on staying warm, IMHO. And don't forget a windbreaker for the boat ride home. I don't know if Dressel provides boat coats, but it gets chilly on that boat going home. Have a great trip!

No boat coats with Dressel. I dive with a beanie. Make sure to poke a hole in the top of it. Prepaying for dives with Dressel gives you 20% off of your diving, equipment, etc.

I'd like to see what their schedule is going to be now with the reef closures.

No boat coats with Dressel. I dive with a beanie. Make sure to poke a hole in the top of it. Prepaying for dives with Dressel gives you 20% off of your diving, equipment, etc.

I'd like to see what their schedule is going to be now with the reef closures.

Why do you poke a hole in the top of the beanie?

We typically do an alternating schedule of 4 one day, 2 morning and 2 afternoon and then the next day do 2 morning and a night dive. I may take a day off or skip an afternoon if I'm not feeling it. We normally do 2 to 3 night dives a week as they are some of my favorite dives there.

If you want to ease into it a bit, schedule 2 morning dives everyday, do 1 day mid week with 4 dives and schedule 2 night dives. That adds 4 dives to your total count without pushing it too much. Enjoy and hopefully the southern reefs are open again by the time you go

I second getting a nitrox certification before you go. I had 45 dives during the last 18 day visit, including a day on the mainland diving cenotes. Without diving nitrox my bottom times or dive count would have suffered significantly.

Why do you poke a hole in the top of the beanie?

To allow trapped air to escape so you don’t have an air bubble sitting at the top of your beanie. The snugger/closer the fit, the more warmth it’ll provide. Same with hoods. If it doesn’t come with vented holes create one.

To allow trapped air to escape so you don’t have an air bubble sitting at the top of your beanie. The snugger/closer the fit, the more warmth it’ll provide. Same with hoods. If it doesn’t come with vented holes create one.

Can't you just tilt your head down with a beanie to let the air out?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom