First time wet suit shopper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Koalaroo

Bubblebabbler
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone :) ,

So, I'm in the market for my first wetsuit. Since I'll be in the US next week, I'm kind of hoping to use that smartly for a tax-back purchase.

I was initially looking at the Waterproof W1 7mm wet suit. Any advice on that?
I wish there was a way to test dive various brands.
But out here the standard is the Oceanics and I never can get them on without tearing my cuticles into bloody, painful shreds. And then end up penguining it courtesy of big butt symptom. (Any advice on that welcome, too. The cuticles I mean, not the butt :wink:)

In general I'd like to find a wet suit that will last me for a long while to come on roughly 1-2 dives / week in salt waters ranging 14 degrees celsius - 24 celsius on the occasional tropics trip. 7mm out here in sydney winters has been working well so far, with a bit on the chilli side after the 3rd dive in a day, or at night. I'd love a front zip over a back zip and legs on the longer side (got ridiculously long femurs and knee pads ending up mid thigh aren't helpful).

Thanks for your experiences and insights :)

Roobear

PS: I'll be in Alameda, CA - so any dive shop in a 50 mile radius that's highly recommended with good stock would be amazing :)

Last edited:
Fit is most important. If you're unsure at the store, try on a different brand (might require going to a different store) before committing.

I use the Aqualung Aquaflex 7mm jumpsuit. I can get it on in about 45 seconds without wetsuit lube and have have no tight or loose spots anywhere. At 14C (57F) I'll wear a hooded vest. Get a 6/4 or a 7/5 (the larger number is the vest thickness, smaller is the hood thickness).

According to this SB thread from 4 years ago, the W1 is discontinued (verified by the mfg a few posts down) W1 Men's 7mm wetsuit discontinued?

Any advice on that welcome, too. The cuticles I mean

Get some Johnson & Johnson No More Tears baby shampoo (or equivalent). Mix it about 1/3 shampoo to 2/3 water and put it in a spray bottle or a sports drink squeeze bottle. Before you put your wetsuit on, squirt some around in the legs and sleeves. Maybe even spray some on your arms and legs, if you need to. Your suit will slide on easily. And you'll smell so fresh when you take it off later! :) And the same mix works great as mask anti-fog, also.

I keep a sports drink squeeze bottle full of it in my dive bag to use as suit lube and anti-fog. Works great and super cheap. I suppose you could even wash your hair with it, too.... LOL

Unless buying specifically Yamamoto neoprene I'd hazard most use the "same" generic neoprene. Yamamoto neoprene is very good neoprene. As another posted has mentioned, neoprene aside, fit is everything. I'd guess a waterproof suit is "probably" of a higher quality as opposed to any offerings by the big boys, oceanic, SP, cressi etc. I've heard good things about Bare and 4th element suits.

14-24 is a pretty big range. I'd freeze, did actually, in a two piece 7mm FJ in NZ in 14 degree water. I feel the cold, now anything below around 19-20 I'm in a DS. Tolerance to cold varies greatly from oerson to person, it's very hard to say what thickness is suitable for what temps. Good luck with your search.

Aqualung Aquaflex is your friend. Mines a 5mm but I'd hazard a guess the 7mm is just as easy to get on and off. Beautiful wetsuits.

14-24 is a pretty big range. I'd freeze, did actually, in a two piece 7mm FJ in NZ in 14 degree water. I feel the cold, now anything below around 19-20 I'm in a DS. Tolerance to cold varies greatly from oerson to person, it's very hard to say what thickness is suitable for what temps. Good luck with your search.

I would be fine in a good 7mm in 14c, but I would ROAST in a 7mm in 24c.

If I were going to buy one suit for that whole range of temps, I would definitely get a drysuit. A somewhat lightweight tri-lam. Preferably breathable. Something like the DUI 30/30 or Waterproof D9 or D9X.

I doubt there are very many people who would find one wetsuit comfortable in the whole range from 14c-24c. If I had to go wet, I would get a 5mm, for being tolerable at 24c, and then a hooded vest (probably 3/5, but maybe 5/7) to put under it for when it's 14c.

Thanks all :) I'm headed to the Adreno shop tomorrow morning to see if they have something that fits, is comfy and works. They do have the Aquaflex on sale right now, so I definitely am at least going to step in.

As for the temperature range: I am a huge, huge whimp when it comes to temperature.

Outside temperatures: My comfort temperature starts at around 24-26 Degrees Celsious. I am most active, and most happy between 28 and 32 degrees celsius. Higher than that, I'm like a VERY comfortable cat and I only slow down again at 36plus.
At 22 and below, I constantly tether on the edge to hibernation.

If I can find something with a front zip, and in the rare occasion I do get too warm, I'm hoping I could just open the front zip for "cool water exchange" onto the body.

Either way :D I'll update with whatever sort of suit I find tomorrow (if I find one), and if I do, will test dive it on Saturday. And then... we'll see !

That being the case I don't think 14 in a wetsuit is going to be pleasant for you. I too am a wimp and wear a full 5mm in 29 degree water and am comfortable. God luck.

OP, you need to read the absolutely side splitting thread under near misses (sub forum under accidents) regarding very funny situations trying on wetsuits, drysuits, and hoods.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom