First timers in Bermuda-- need hotel, dive shop/site, scooter rental recommendations!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Bermuda- Has been getting my vote since 1983!!

Thanks for the info. I think we're going to go with them if I can get a hold of them. I think I would choose Triangle, but they are over 20 min away :-(

We used Blue Water Divers - both a dive boat from their Sommerset Bridge location and shore diving from their Elbow Beach location.

I felt the boat diving was well run. They got us to the reef/wrecks efficiently, they let us do the dives with no fuss (and did not wig out about the double hose reg I use for pretty fish/recreational diving - in fact the DM was very interested in my PRAM and was himself a vintage reg collector) and the sites were both interesting and well suited to the conditions that day.

Now, my reference point is Great Lakes, North East, NC and to a lesser extent South Florida wreck and tech diving. Consequently, I am not wowed by hand holding, gear assembling, pampering dive boat crew and prefer to regard the boat as pretty much just a quality/professional ride to the wreck or reef with perhaps a good site briefing thrown in by the DM - and Blue Water Divers accomplished that nicely. No frills but a solid operation that left on time and got us there efficiently. The DM and crew were also quite knowledgeable of the area and the area wrecks and were both approachable and conversant, so it made the trip in and out very enjoyable. IIRC the cost was $125 for a two tank trip.

The Elbow Beach location offers very good shore diving and weights and unlimited tanks for the entire day cost only $25.00, so there is a great deal of value for the money. Now, on the other hand, the cafe on the beach will charge you $6 for a bottle of water, so bring your own cooler.

The reef starts fairly close to shore at least in terms of ome isolated coral heads but it is a couple hundred yards out to the reef proper, and the breakers and deeper water are about 350-400 yards off shore. Once there, you will encounter about 20'-25' of vertical relief on the reef with some great swim throughs and a good variety of life on what is a healthy reef. We were there fairly early in the year with water in the 68-70 degree range, and the reef was still well populated and very active.

There is also a WWI era wreck off the beach (the Pollackshields) and while it is largely flattened and scattered it is still readily recognizable as a wreck, the stem and some hull plates still stand proud and the much of the machinery is still readily recognizable.

They do rent scooters (the DPV kind) and IIRC they are the Apollo/Dacor variety - a bit more oomph than a Sea Doo, but not quite in the tech scooter range, yet still adequate to pull a recreational diver. So if you are not into the 400 yard commute, or want to range farther on the reef, it's a good option - especially if you use the trigger time to transit to/from shore to reef and then clip it off and tow it behind you while touring the reef to maximize the battery life. Personally, I enjoyed the swim in and out but a scooter would extend your range and the new reef you see if you do dives over multiple days.

Tanks were AL 80's and as far as I could tell, they are filled off site, so you may want to call ahead so that if you plan to do, for example, 4-5 dives per day (a reasonable possibility), that they have the required tanks available for you and your buddy.

One thing I had always heard but never believed is that you need more weight in Bermuda. We are both very anal about weight ensure that we are properly weighted - neutral at the end of the dive at 10-15' with a 500 psi reserve with no gas in the wing. Consequently, my first dive (a beach dive) was about 3 minutes long and I treked back to shop (all of about 100') to pick up 6 pounds of additional weight as with my usual 3mm wet suit configuration weight I was still about 2 pounds positive with a full AL80. The "need more weight" rumors I had dismissed s BS were in fact true and the salinity does in fact appear to be greater, so you'll have more buoyancy than on a normal salt water dive. If on the other hand you normally dive over weighted (knowingly or unknowingly), the extra salinity of the water in Bermuda will cure that for you.

Other than tanks and weights, we brought our own gear, so I can't comment on the quality or cost of other gear rental, but our experience was positive and I have no complaints about either operation and would in fact recommend them based on my experience with them.

One thing I had always heard but never believed is that you need more weight in Bermuda. We are both very anal about weight ensure that we are properly weighted - neutral at the end of the dive at 10-15' with a 500 psi reserve with no gas in the wing. Consequently, my first dive (a beach dive) was about 3 minutes long and I treked back to shop (all of about 100') to pick up 6 pounds of additional weight as with my usual 3mm wet suit configuration weight I was still about 2 pounds positive with a full AL80. The "need more weight" rumors I had dismissed s BS were in fact true and the salinity does in fact appear to be greater, so you'll have more buoyancy than on a normal salt water dive. If on the other hand you normally dive over weighted (knowingly or unknowingly), the extra salinity of the water in Bermuda will cure that for you.

Good to know! When I am boat diving I usually just wear a surfing wetsuit jacket with my bikini and don't need weights at all. My backplate is usually enough to get medown. I'll be sure to put a couple lbs of weight before my first dive ;-)

We dove 2 days with Blue Water. They were okay. The Capt the first day seemed more concerned with his appearance and boat than the divers. For example, My wife had a rental reg which was leaking on the first dive by the mouth piece causing her to take in spray. When she showed it to the Capt, he dismissed her complaint. I then looked at it and could see that there was a tear in the mouthpiece. I showed the tear to the Capt and he simply said to grap another rental. The intake of spray and rough water that day caused my wife to miss the second dive and to get seasick. The Capt's response was don't get any vomit on my boat. The crew the second day (different crew) was much more laid back and fun to dive with I would dive with them again if my location was close. I also did not like the fact that we could not find out where we might be diving until we were underway.

On the private drive, the driver was Melvin Butch Outerbridge. Ph 441 7374545, memo@fkbnet.bm. I don't recall the exact amount but I remember it being in the range of what a regular taxi would charge.

Thanks for the info. I think we're going to go with them if I can get a hold of them. I think I would choose Triangle, but they are over 20 min away :-(

Good call!
BTW, found a business card for Dive Bermuda, and I'm not sure how current this info is,it listed
Phone: 441-238-2332
email: (a problem, I realize) dive@bermudascuba.com
website: DIVE Bermuda - Scuba Diving Shop at The Fairmont Southampton Princess
maybe one of those modes of contact will help!
Enjoy your trip!

I dove with both shops a few years ago and do not have a preference. Each shop was professional. At Dive Bermuda, you may not be able to directly board the boat due to tides. Make sure you ask them. I did not and had to swim to the boat with my BC on and a reg that was not attached to a tank. I was very concerned with water entering the reg.

I dove with both shops a few years ago and do not have a preference. Each shop was professional. At Dive Bermuda, you may not be able to directly board the boat due to tides. Make sure you ask them. I did not and had to swim to the boat with my BC on and a reg that was not attached to a tank. I was very concerned with water entering the reg.

Now, not only due to the tides, but due to the fact that the dock has been removed (by the hotel).
You'll have to walk/swim out to the boat-approximately 50 ft., with water depths at a max of 6 ft. at high tide. Not a real hardship, IMO, for divers. in fact, I find the extra "dip" refreshing on the hot summer days!

Additionally, the DB staff has it all under control-when you leave the shop, they have kayaks waiting for gear bags, and for anything that you need to keep dry. The staff walks/swims the loaded kayak out to the dive boat, and staff on board offloads the gear/dry stuff.
So no worries about water getting into where it shouldn't.

Again, I'll highly recommend Dive Bermuda.
Enjoy your trip!

We went ahead and booked with Dive Bermuda. Looking forward to getting under water :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom