First trip ever to Hawaii and I need recommendations for a full schedule

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spent Christmas and new years in Kona a couple years ago. I used Jack's, I recommend them. All their boats are more fishing/sport boats (Aluminum or fiberglass hulls). The big boats have like 24 divers, the smallest boat (I was only on it for the Pelagic dive) has like 8.

We got blown out for two days in the two weeks we were there, that isn't uncommon in winter. One of those when when a bunch of family was gong to do the manta snorkel, so you might want to try to schedule it at least twice just in case. The manta dive is very cool, don't miss it.

There are limited sites that they use in winter due to the weather patterns. If you have a reasonable amount of experience and AOW they run advanced trips that hit some more complex sites, but for a few days you won't run out of places to see on the basic trips.

In winter there are a lot of humpback whales. You will probably never ever see them under water (among other things, federal law says you can't dive if they are there - they have to show up while you are already in the water), but you probably will on the boat to/from the dive site. You might hear them under water too.

Can't talk about the rest of the islands.

Boat diving in Hawaii isn't cheap, but it's cool.

Manta ray night dive was MAGIC!!! 14 rays! Awesome night diving after the show too. On Kauai, Koloa landing night dive was cool. Saw sea turtles for the first time, but not up close. Lots of eels, and something that the dive guide had never seen in her life before. Dove Zac's Pocket and Fishbowl off the boat. Tons of fish. Great diving.

Went with Jack's Dive Locker on Kona and Fathom 5 in Kauai. Both were great.

Thanks to all for the recommendations.

Good to know Jack's is still great--It has been a while since I've been diving off Hawaii but I'm going next week and will sign up with Jacks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom