First trip to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slice1357

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are traveling to Cozumel next year for a dive trip. We are staying for 5 nights. I have no idea where we should stay or dive and want some recommendations. Price is of some concern but not the deciding factor. We don't need anything super fancy. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Kyle

My wife and I are traveling to Cozumel next year for a dive trip. We are staying for 5 nights. I have no idea where we should stay or dive and want some recommendations. Price is of some concern but not the deciding factor. We don't need anything super fancy. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Kyle
I suggest you mine this forum extensively. "What's the best hotel" and "What's the best dive op" are hugely open questions and you are more likely to get cheerleading than useful information.

The Bahia Suites is a couple blocks from the square and includes the excellent breakfast buffet at the Mexicana for around $50 a night (prices are skyrocketing in Cozumel). My favorite dive shop is Tres Pelicanos because they are the best, IMHO (and that is true shameless cheerleading:D:D). Seriously while I like Tres Pelicanos there are a lot of other really well liked dive shops in the area (Aldora, Blue XTC, Liquid Blue, Living Underwater and the list goes on). These are some of most frequently recommended dive shops that cater to the repeat trade and all have to be good or they wouldn't get any repeat visitors. Check some of the Monthly threads and you will get a lot of good recommendations.
I like the downtown area, there are just to many great (and reasonably priced) restaurants and bars in the area to commit to an AI, IMO. Cozumel is also one of the few areas in Mexico that I feel safe walking around alone at night, never a problem.

Last edited:
We stayed at Suites Bahia, and it is certainly nothing fancy but we found it to be wonderful. The water pressure in the shower wasn't great, but it was always warm. The breakfast a short walk away was excellent, and the location can't be beat. We got a balcony room with a "city view" but could see the ocean. I'd highly recommend them for a no-frills hotel; though they have the amazing frill of a microwave, fridge and freezer!

Ditto on the recommendation to stay in or near Downtown, and DO NOT DO All-Inclusive in Cozumel. I don't have anything against AIs, and at some destinations they are the only way to go, but not Cozumel -- Cozumel is very safe, very friendly, and has a wealth of great eating options, in every budget category. So I just will not do AI on Cozumel. Most of the very good restaurants are in the Downtown area, so anything within walking distance, even down as far as Hotel Cozumel (which does have an AI option, but DON'T take it - the Hotel is nice, but the Food is terrible) is very convenient for walking to lunch, dinner, or shopping. There are a lot of options downtown, from Casa Mexicana and Suites Bahia to little low-cost hotels and B&Bs farther back in town. If you want a more "Resort" feeling, big swimming pool. Little beach area (not a real beach, you'll need to climb down a ladder to get into the ocean), relatively easy walk to town (about 10-15 minutes, depending on your pace), there's Hotel Cozumel. Farther south, an 80 Peso taxi ride (about $5, as long as you get Pesos at the Bank or a Cambio) into town, or a 35-40 minute walk if you like to walk, is Casa Del Mar or El Cid. Lots of good dive ops. My favorite is Aldora, because I like the HP Steel 120 tanks, the long bottom times, and the long surface intervals at a beach club, but as noted, there are several other excellent ops - Tres Pelicanos, Blue XTSea, Living Underwater, Dive with Allison, Dive with Martin (not a higher end valet operator, but an excellent lower-cost option if you are staying farther south, like at Casa Del Mar or El Cid), and others. Every long-time visitor has his or her own favorites. I've never stayed North of Downtown because it's much less convenient to diving, but Villa Aldora might be a good option - it's north, but still an easy walk into town, and Aldora boats pick you up right there.

No liveboard in Cozumel?

I'll ask what you're looking for. Basic Hotel, better hotel or a resort like place. If you don't want AI you've eliminated all the southern resorts & the beach they share, Park Royal, and whatever Fiesta Americana is now called. this pretty much puts you in town or on the edge or up north, & up north can make dive trips a bit more time consuming because few ops pick up there.

Reactions: MMM
I guess y'all are new to diving? Be sure you have DAN dive insurance or similar, and hire a private DM the first day.
No liveboard in Cozumel?
No. Why would you want one when the diving is so easily accessible from land.

I like the idea of not doing all-inclusive. My wife and I are also really into food. I think my wife would like to have a pool area. I looked at Hotel Cozumel and it is reasonably priced for the breakfast only option. What Downtown hotels do you like?

---------- Post added October 24th, 2015 at 04:52 PM ----------

I guess y'all are new to diving? Be sure you have DAN dive insurance or similar, and hire a private DM the first day.

No. Why would you want one when the diving is so easily accessible from land.

We are relatively new to diving but have been on about 10-12 dives.

I like the idea of not doing all-inclusive. My wife and I are also really into food. I think my wife would like to have a pool area. I looked at Hotel Cozumel and it is reasonably priced for the breakfast only option. What Downtown hotels do you like?

I like Hotel Coz. Prices can vary a lot with how you shop and book, but good deals can be found. If you can find a good deal on the A&I package, that can be a good approach - using the breakfasts, lunches, drinks, snacks, then ignoring the free dinners and going into town for better dining, unless you don't feel like going one night.

There is a wide variety of hotel choices in town tho. Not knowing what all is important to you, much less being unable to read your mind and make your best decisions - you need to read up on the choices really. Fortunately there is a lot of good info available here, on booking sites, tripadvisor, etc.

Once you pick a hotel, we might offer ideas on how to do that property. Like at Villablanca it's a great idea to upgrade to Superior rooms if the upgrade is cheap, as it often is - and those rooms are huge. Just one example.

We are relatively new to diving but have been on about 10-12 dives.
Yeah, that's new. Cozumel diving is great, but with surprising currents at times - including tricky down currents as rare surprises. Hiring a private DM for the first day is money well spent.

Back
Top Bottom