First trip to Phillipines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Getting ready to commit to a trip to the Phillipines in Puerto Galera in September or October. I think our front runners are Scandi Dive Resort and El Galleon. Will 6 or 7 dive days doing 4 dives per day be sufficient to cover most that PG has to offer? Also, is there any difference betwen going in September vs October weather wise? What are everyones opinions of these 2 dive resorts? We are not looking for anything upscale. It would be myself, my wife and teenage son who just want to dive. I was planning on going to Roatan until I saw that I could go to the Phillipines for less with cheaper airfare as well. The 700$ RT airfare from San Antonio REALLY surprised me.

Getting ready to commit to a trip to the Phillipines in Puerto Galera in September or October. I think our front runners are Scandi Dive Resort and El Galleon. Will 6 or 7 dive days doing 4 dives per day be sufficient to cover most that PG has to offer? Also, is there any difference betwen going in September vs October weather wise? What are everyones opinions of these 2 dive resorts? We are not looking for anything upscale. It would be myself, my wife and teenage son who just want to dive. I was planning on going to Roatan until I saw that I could go to the Phillipines for less with cheaper airfare as well. The 700$ RT airfare from San Antonio REALLY surprised me.

Hi, @gkrane. 4 of us are staying at El Galleon for 6 nights in early May. I will report back on the resort and experience but I can’t comment on weather or conditions Sept vs Oct.

I have dived a little of the Caribbean but as you said, about a year and a half ago, I discovered it’s cheaper to fly to Southeast Asia than to the Caribbean without any flight deals. Landing costs (food and acommodations) and dive costs are also much lower than the Caribbean when it comes to land based diving and there are some good value liveaboards available. With that said, there are also expensive options. :) Plus, the life and diversity, coral, colors, etc. is night and day to me. It has been a really easy decision. I’m so excited for you!

We haven’t been to Puerto Galera , but did do Anilao a few years ago. We have several friends who dived PG and loved it , as I’m sure you will too. This area is wonderful for diving and the staff in the dive resorts are so incredibly sweet. It’s getting busier and low cost international air fares are helping this a lot. One advantage is that the food seems to be getting better too !

Both El Galleon and Scandi have been very respomsive to emails so far. I have even gotten emails from my sons potential AOW instructor at El Galleon. I'm impressed with the fast communication. Prices seem incredible compared to what we were getting in the caribbean all these years. I am really excited to see all of the different life as compared to the caribbean.

That's a great price for the flights!

September poses a greater likelihood of a typhoon than October does, just like hurricane season in your region.

I think a solid week full of diving will be enough to see most of the better dive sites.

I can't comment on either resort nor on their dive operations. I do expect that you will find the diving to be considerably better than that in Roatan.

El Galleon has a pool. But there is a small patch of clean sand over Big La Laguna where Scandi is.
La Laguna Beach Club and Dive Centre which is next door to Scandi has pool and family room.

If you are betting on better weather in September or October. I would bet on October for sure. You are out of the traditional rainy season and coming out of the traditional typhoon season. Although never guaranteed, for example Yolanda in 2013 hit in early November, it is a better bet.

I am really excited to see all of the different life as compared to the caribbean.

Your eyes are going to pop out of your head. The colors of the soft coral will make the Caribbean seem like black and white. The fish life will make you go wow I've really been missing out!
And the cost compared to some parts of the Caribbean will make your wallet feel fat.

Only one problem... you will be plotting and scheming to explore more of the Coral Triangle, and do just about anything to see more of it.

Back
Top Bottom