First trip to Phillipines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your eyes are going to pop out of your head. The colors of the soft coral will make the Caribbean seem like black and white. The fish life will make you go wow I've really been missing out!
And the cost compared to some parts of the Caribbean will make your wallet feel fat.

Only one problem... you will be plotting and scheming to explore more of the Coral Triangle, and do just about anything to see more of it.

I always enjoy a little plotting and scheming.

Your eyes are going to pop out of your head. The colors of the soft coral will make the Caribbean seem like black and white. The fish life will make you go wow I've really been missing out!
And the cost compared to some parts of the Caribbean will make your wallet feel fat.

Only one problem... you will be plotting and scheming to explore more of the Coral Triangle, and do just about anything to see more of it.

For what I have heard (I'll see with my eyes when I'll land there) is exactly the opposite: there's an abundance of soft corals and no real interesting formations; there's much less marine life, especially in the mid-size and pelagic, most of the marine life in the area is small and muck dives; ...oh and the cost, this I can answer already, coz I paid for my trip in PG already: I spent the double of what I paid in Cozumel (eat and the drink there could be different..). I'll update my "collected info" with the facts as soon I'll be there. :) ...but I think the Caribbean area cannot be compared to anything else, really.

For what I have heard (I'll see with my eyes when I'll land there) is exactly the opposite: there's an abundance of soft corals and no real interesting formations; there's much less marine life, especially in the mid-size and pelagic, most of the marine life in the area is small and muck dives; ...oh and the cost, this I can answer already, coz I paid for my trip in PG already: I spent the double of what I paid in Cozumel (eat and the drink there could be different..). I'll update my "collected info" with the facts as soon I'll be there. :) ...but I think the Caribbean area cannot be compared to anything else, really.

How much did you spend? I booked 6 nights in PG as part of my trip. I will let you know in a few weeks time if PG is a good representation of the best that I have dived in the coral triangle compared to the Caribbean. Indonesia has my dive heart right now, mainly Komodo and Raja Ampat.

How much did you spend? I booked 6 nights in PG as part of my trip. I will let you know in a few weeks time if PG is a good representation of the best that I have dived in the coral triangle compared to the Caribbean. Indonesia has my dive heart right now, mainly Komodo and Raja Ampat.

1,716€ (9 nights, 32 dives)

I just got a quote from Blue Angel where we usually stay in Coz for 3 of us: 7 nights with 5 days of 2 tank diving. Unlimited shore diving in front of BA, Breakfast, no nitrox $2500. I just booked with El Galleon for 3 of us: 9 nights, 7 days of diving, at least 4 boat dives a day with unlimited Nitrox, plus my son is getting his AOW and Nitrox certs there included in price. Also with breakfast. $3400. No comparison cost wise to me. PG is a better value. I don't know about the diving first hand, but the videos I have seen has tons of hard and soft corals and a bunch of new fish and inverts you will never see in Coz. Don't get me wrong Coz is great diving and close, but in one single Verde Island video I watched I saw more mid size and pelagics than I would see all week in Coz.

I hope so... after all Puerto Galera will be my next diving destination (following a break in the Canary Island this summer). I'm trying to lower my expectation because I'm convinced that the awesomeness I have seen in the Caribbean is hardly replicated anywhere else and I won't end deluded, and also because I know that the Philippines are a macro paradise, and I'm not much into small things (but I just bought an additional macro setup so I may find I will like it..). I'll know when I'll be there (it's a long way to go.. it'll be in the winter).

PS: Coz is a short trip for you guys in the USA, I'm from Europe it's different.. but travelling in the Philippines still longer and more expensive. As comparison in Mexico I paid around 2,600€ for everything (hotel cozumel and resort for two weeks, and the flights for two persons, plus the dives with dive paradise; maybe the food in cozumel was priced higher than I expected, but overall it has been the best vacation (and not only for the diving) I've ever had so far).

I hope so... after all Puerto Galera will be my next diving destination (following a break in the Canary Island this summer). I'm trying to lower my expectation because I'm convinced that the awesomeness I have seen in the Caribbean is hardly replicated anywhere else and I won't end deluded, and also because I know that the Philippines are a macro paradise, and I'm not much into small things (but I just bought an additional macro setup so I may find I will like it..). I'll know when I'll be there (it's a long way to go.. it'll be in the winter).

PS: Coz is a short trip for you guys in the USA, I'm from Europe it's different.. but travelling in the Philippines still longer and more expensive. As comparison in Mexico I paid around 2,600€ for everything (hotel cozumel and resort for two weeks, and the flights for two persons, plus the dives with dive paradise; maybe the food in cozumel was priced higher than I expected, but overall it has been the best vacation (and not only for the diving) I've ever had so far).

Cozumel is a really cool place that has a unique vibe and excellent diving. For my family there is nowhere to dive that can compare that is as close or as easy to get to. I have heard that Anilao is much more a macro/muck diving destination than PG and I have that on my list of places to visit. The food in Cozumel can be very high priced or very low depending on where you go. There are many ways to eat in Coz on the cheap. I wouldnt set your expectations for PG to low, I bet you are going to see some amazing things. Travelling to the PI is a 25 hour flight for us so its going to be an adventure all in its own getting there, but I am looking forward to it. As far as Caribbean diving goes if you haven't been to Bonaire I highly recommend it for a future trip for you to investigate.

Diving in PG is good but NOT the best.
I prefer Southern Leyte and Sipalay.
And Tubattaha is head and shoulder above everyone.

I really do not see any reason to book full board in PG.

As far as Caribbean diving goes if you haven't been to Bonaire I highly recommend it for a future trip for you to investigate.

Yeah, I never been there, Bonaire is already in my diving list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom