First week of November a bad time to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lateralus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a flight booked to go down November 3rd for a week. I'm targeting Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker.

I want to avoid it if it's rainy season. I'm reading that Nov. is in the last month window of the rainy season. I have Southwest and they let you switch flights/destinations for free (just pay flight fare difference).

Considering switching to Roatan, but that may cost more since it isn't a Southwest destination. But then again, it may also be rainy season there also.

Pretty much the same weather pattern.

I have been to both in November a number of times. It's a crapshoot. But I keep going back then don't I? I found it more rainy at Christmas. It's the tail end of hurricane season also, so you will want to keep an eye on that.

Can't comment on November, but we've been to both a number of times the first half of December and as was previously mentioned the weather patterns are usually about the same. We've also been pretty fortunate to not have many issues with the weather. Once on Roatan a front came in and it completely shut things down for two days. Also happened to us once out on Glovers when a northerner came in and we sat inside for the better part of three days. The rest of the trips have been great!

As far as scuba diving, it's not the rain so much as the wind that often accompanies it that can cause problems. If the wind picks up, the waves kick up and dives get cancelled.

I go to Belize pretty much every summer, which is the start of the rainy season. I've found the rain is usually at night and even if/when it pours the weather usually clears up in the morning and off we go.

You might want to plan for a day jungle trip or two if the weather turns bad. Not as easy as it would be from Placencia but still doable from Ambergris or Caye Caulker.

Roatan and Belize have similar weather patterns in my experience. It will be coming closer to the end of the rainy/hurricane season and November is usually a pretty good time but of course can't be guaranteed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom