Fish bomb kills DM, tourists - Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Explosives underwater don't kill with shrapnel but a pressure wave, I have experienced them a few times, closest was around 100 meters away and it caused a lung squeeze, I was tasting blood and coughing for 2 days. Ones that were more than 300 meters away feel like something hit you in the guts and cause a lot of disorientation.

I can see how someone would be killed if he was any closer.

In 2009 we have have been at the Phillipines (Cabilao Natural Reserve). Even in the marinepark we could several times hear explosions from dynamite fishing. Once it was so near that we were swirled around (and feeling like hit in the guts). Did not know it was 300 meters away, I felt as it would have been much closer...

Wolfgang

What is "those" countries?
Philippines is one of those.
And I have experienced on several occasions from Puerto Galera, El Nido, Malapascua and San Fernando(La Union) etc. But only in El Nido that the blast was just around the corner!!! Pretty scary.

Philippines is one of those.
And I have experienced on several occasions from Puerto Galera, El Nido, Malapascua and San Fernando(La Union) etc. But only in El Nido that the blast was just around the corner!!! Pretty scary.

happened to me several times a year ago diving out of lapu lapu Cebu at nalusulan and tingusulan marine preserves. Im probably mangling those names but the first couple blasts felt like a ship exploded directly over my head. about six more on the second dive merely gave us the heebie jeebies and ruined the dive as every few minutes huge explosions in the distance sounding like a car dropped off a bridge landing on pavement.

funniest part of it all was after the first thermonuclear blast the dive guide turned around and gave us the double OK signal. No brotha it aint OK , if it gets closer we dead...

Is this normal?

"To a question on whether the boatman transporting the victims left the area after dropping them off at the dive point, Omar said the dive instructor had told the boatman to return to the jetty to take additional dive tanks.

“The boatman did as he was told, and left the three divers at about 2.30pm. An hour later, he returned to fetch the divers and that was when he saw a lot of bubbles coming from underwater."

A very very unprofessional decision if I may say. You never send your boat and boat man away unless it is an emergency to attend to someone else. The incident happened late in the evening so asking the boat man to head back for more tanks sounds strange...unless they were planning on a night dive which would have been a horrible idea to begin with for safety reasons but whatever it is..the boat man should never have been sent away in the first place. He stay's and waits till you surface.

Instead of going after fish bombers, the minister goes after dive companies....what do her people in her ministry do 24/7 on other days of the week?

D'uh. Fish bombers are poor voters, dive ops are money-making businesses. Like I said "those countries" (I grew up in what became one so it's OK for me to say it).

It seems funny to opt to leave them while they are diving if you can go and come back within their expected dive time. If that short, then you could just go get the tanks during the surface interval. That doesn't necessarily mean that is the only choice they should have made but it is an interesting thought.

Instead of going after fish bombers, the minister goes after dive companies....what do her people in her ministry do 24/7 on other days of the week?

You can find the companies but good luck finding the fish bombers. There are 7,641 islands in the philippines and 80 different languages.....

I agree the fish , reef bombers should be prosecuted and persecuted to the fullest extent of the law however the government is focused on drug dealers and drugs for now. Which is working btw. I got zero offers to buy drugs in Cebu. In mexico its every two minutes for cocaine etc etc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom