Fish from Layang Layang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Please help me ID this fish - saw it at around 12m swimming about the reef at a site called Dogtooth Lair in Layang Layang. I guesstimate that it's about 24 inches long.

Apologies for the bad picture quality - it's a JPEG file captured from an MPEG movie file.

doole:
I'd say some kind of triggerfish - did he have a spike on his head?

Definitely NOT a triggerfish. Didn't have a "spike" on the head and the fish had ventral fins (which all triggerfish lack).

dorsal fin looks thrashed... the camera shot is greatly exaggerating the caudal fin too.

alcina:
Almost looks like some sort of big puffer-type fish...they have those kinds of fins and the mouth looks like it could be kinda beaky?

I don't think so but I still have no idea what it could be. Here's another picture of the same fish; you can clearly see the white ventral fins.

Looks somewhat heavy-bodied to me, like a grouper. The coloration is somewhat like a blacksaddle grouper, but without a better picture that's only a wild guess.

maractwin:
Looks somewhat heavy-bodied to me, like a grouper. The coloration is somewhat like a blacksaddle grouper, but without a better picture that's only a wild guess.

I concur on the grouper I.D.; body shape and anatomy seem to conform, and I think I see the characteristic mouth. Photo's all blurry.

thanks, guys - it is probably some kind of grouper; the colouration is similar but different from a blacksaddle.

Back
Top Bottom