Fish ID help - Looks like a kind of blenny

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi...

I saw this yesterday...

blenny.jpg

It was maybe 1.5 - 2 inches long.

Seen on our reef in Fort Lauderdale (basically LBTS) at a depth of 15 feet.

I've tried reviewing the Humann book, but can't seem to have a good photo for comparison. The blue spot looks like the ones shown for the Goatee Blenny, but I'm not sure.

It was very shy, and hiding in the sea rod.

Here's another photo, not the greatest shot, but you can see the head crown detail a little more...

belnny2.jpg

It's a sailfin blenny of some sort, I believe.
Rick

I think that what you have there is a Marbled Blenny (Paraclinus marmoratus). Blennies of all sorts are God's gift to make us smile.

Looks like a marbled Blenny to me. Could you see two ocellated spots on the rear dorsal fin?

_Bella_:
or perhaps Paraclinus nigripinnis.
AKA Blackfin Blenny.

That's my vote, too. But of course this isn't a democracy.

I'll go with the Blackfin Blenny paracilnus nigripinnis

According to the Humann book, "Dark blue spot ringed with orange usually present on rear dorsal fin"

The picture in the book isn't so hot... it's hard to tell from their photo.

The elongated front portion of the dorsal fin and the oscellated spot on the fin midway to the body does not suggest the Blackfn to me. This one would just have to be a judgement call but pay attention to the very long anterior portion of the dorsal fin.

Tom Smedley:
The elongated front portion of the dorsal fin and the oscellated spot on the fin midway to the body does not suggest the Blackfn to me. This one would just have to be a judgement call but pay attention to the very long anterior portion of the dorsal fin.
Yessss... that dorsal is what had me thinking some sort of sailfin. Now that I'm back with my library, I agree with Tommy. The Paraclinus marmoratus has the ocelated spot and the prominent first dorsal rays, so my vote goes for that one :)
Rick

I don't know... Only having the Humann / DeLoach book to go by, the description of the marbled blenny (Paraclinus mamoratus) doesn't seem to fit aptly. The Blackfin's (Paraclinus nigripinnis) description specifies the "distinctly upturned pointed snout" whereas the marbled doesn't mention that. The marbled blenny also includes multiple spots, and according to the sizes being 2-3 inches on average, sounds a little big for the fish I saw.

If anyone has other images of the species to review, that would be great. The images in the Humann/DeLoach book are not so great.

Back
Top Bottom