Fisherman Anchors - History

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captndale

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am interested in the traditional fisherman anchor with a steel stock that slides through the shaft. The stock has balls at each end and one end is bent so that the stock can be laid next to the shaft for stowage. Can anyone tell me when this type of anchor, in this configuration was invented? When did it make its first appearance in the Great Lakes?

captndale:
I am interested in the traditional fisherman anchor with a steel stock that slides through the shaft. The stock has balls at each end and one end is bent so that the stock can be laid next to the shaft for stowage. Can anyone tell me when this type of anchor, in this configuration was invented? When did it make its first appearance in the Great Lakes?
have you googled: "folding stock anchors" history

Uncle Pug:
have you googled: "folding stock anchors" history

Yes, I have googled every iteration I can think of. I am, specifically, trying to find out if such anchors were in use in 1860 in the Great Lakes. From what I have found out so far, they came into use sometime after the invention of the steam hammer forge, shortly after 1840. They could not have been economically made before that. That is all that I have been able to find out so far.

captndale:

I found this, and this .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom