Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was wondering what length arms you all would recommend for someone shooting for the first time with a double strobe system with the Fisheye FIX S90 housing?
I'm about to place my order. Thinking of getting the ULCS 2 arm set up with a 5inch and an 8 inch.

I was wondering what length arms you all would recommend for someone shooting for the first time with a double strobe system with the Fisheye FIX S90 housing?
I'm about to place my order. Thinking of getting the ULCS 2 arm set up with a 5inch and an 8 inch.

Thats just about the right length, but I would also recommend buoyancy arms if you want it neutral underwater.

I think I am using an 8 inch arm on each side plus clamps and the strobe adapter seems to get my strobes out plenty far and yet remain compact and easy to fold up for handling.

DSCF0004-1.jpg

P4170294.jpg

Upon re-entry to the boat and the inevitable and always scary hand off to the crew, I usually tuck the strobes up and under rather than out and up (as on the LSU blanket), thus the strobes rest up against the rubber coated handles when folded this way.

N

Arms are a factor of the shooting distance you plan on using and how clear the water is.

In clear water, you don't have to be that wide...bad vis you do.

I use a 8 and 5 inch arms, but shoot mostly fairly close and sometimes terrible vis.

A general guide for bad water is 45 degrees for the strobes. so that the strobes to the object are out far enough to be at a 45 degree angle.

Really clear water... just have fun shooting.

I usually have my strobes level to the lens and fanned outward slightly especially with wide angle lenses. Up close I tend to move them up above the camera and point them down and in to the subject.

I like to do verticals so I just wing that as I go.

N

Nemrod
What is the size of the threads on the FIX housing. I know the 52mm adaptor allows mounting a 52mm threaded lens, but what is the threading on the port itself?
thanks
John

Nemrod
What is the size of the threads on the FIX housing. I know the 52mm adaptor allows mounting a 52mm threaded lens, but what is the threading on the port itself?
thanks
John

Not going to work whatever you are thinking, the port is male threaded, not female. It is a 47mm external/male thread. The exact pitch, I don't know.

James

Thanks to all great help I have gotten from all the contributors to this thread, I finally received & my S90 Fix housing ( along with UWL-04 and 2 element macro flip lenses) from Reefphoto. I'm so super excited, but to my great dismay ( and embarassment), I can't get the housing open! According to the instruction manual, I depress the button and turn the opening wheel all the way CLOCKWISE, which I did but the housing won't open. It seems to be vacuumed shut! Help! Any suggestions?

Thanks to all great help I have gotten from all the contributors to this thread, I finally received & my S90 Fix housing ( along with UWL-04 and 2 element macro flip lenses) from Reefphoto. I'm so super excited, but to my great dismay ( and embarassment), I can't get the housing open! According to the instruction manual, I depress the button and turn the opening wheel all the way CLOCKWISE, which I did but the housing won't open. It seems to be vacuumed shut! Help! Any suggestions?

The opening wheel has a ramp built into it that will push the door open, carefully continue turning in the open direction. Study the mechanism first.

It took me about five minutes, like you, I could not get it to open up, then I realized the wheel has the ramp in it.

Please do not use a pocket knife, screwdriver, chisel, tooth pick or whatever as it will RUIN the housing--plezzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N

The opening wheel has a ramp built into it that will push the door open, carefully continue turning in the open direction. Study the mechanism first.

It took me about five minutes, like you, I could not get it to open up, then I realized the wheel has the ramp in it.

Please do not use a pocket knife, screwdriver, chisel, tooth pick or whatever as it will RUIN the housing--plezzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N

OMG- thanks a million Nemrod! I got it open now. Yes, I was on the verge of being tempted to pry it open with something...

Can't wait to take it all UW at the Grand Cayman over Thanksgiving!

Back
Top Bottom