Fishhook in Finger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ambon.... I can't think of a worse place on Earth to be hooked... I am glad you are ok. My husband had his BC hooked there but we were able to unhook without injury. Needless to say we are very wary of line and diving under boats in harbors.

If hooked in the BC by someone actively fishing, I must admit I would seriously consider allowing them to reel me in (assuming a reasonable ascent rate and that the hook did not compromise the bladder) just to see the look on the fisherman's face.

Had some questions about how it is going....
Here is the finger 7 weeks post injury/repair.
Almost back to normal....still a little tender, but better each day.

I'm going to add a cutting tool or two to my basic dive rig; the Trilobite is really very good at what it does. but it doesn't do everything.

I was lucky. Luck, like hope, is not a strategy.

View attachment 500225
Glad to see you are better and healing fast, at this rate you can resume your hand model career

:yeahbaby:

Hey it happens, glad you are OK!! Fisherman and day boats often fish around wrecks. Here in the mid-Atlantic (VA Beach specifically) there's a popular wreck called the Morgan. You can usually find 2 or more day boats with up to 30 fisherman onboard. I've been hooked several times, luckily never in a SOFT spot however one time that put a nice, albeit small hole in my drysuit. Viz is typically 15-30max so its often hard to catch these ahead of time.

Bob

That had to hurt and I'm sure it was scary for awhile.

This story has me more squeamish than most. It's a completely different scenario, when you both have a fish-kook in your body, and someone trying to yank you to the surface.

I have two cutting devices, both reachable from either hand and in a place I can reach blind. Mostly for entanglements of course, but this is another reason to have these cutting-devices handy.

Back
Top Bottom