Fishing charter in Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arew+4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for up to date recommendations for fishing charters. Will be on island 6-8 thru 6-19, and my kids would like to do some fishing in addition to diving. Personally I'm a fishing fiasco and would just as soon give it a pass but....
Any way looking for ethical charters, I don't want to be fishing the dive sites, I know it's all the same ocean but I'd rather they weren't fishing for the pretty ones.

Thanks in advance,

Looking for up to date recommendations for fishing charters. Will be on island 6-8 thru 6-19, and my kids would like to do some fishing in addition to diving. Personally I'm a fishing fiasco and would just as soon give it a pass but....
Any way looking for ethical charters, I don't want to be fishing the dive sites, I know it's all the same ocean but I'd rather they weren't fishing for the pretty ones.

Thanks in advance,
I was on Ruthless twice in the last few years. But there wasn't anybody fishing on the boat besides the owners. Fun time, but not if you want to fish. I have no insight into any of the others because I don't fish :)

Can't help you with a name, but can give you some advice based on a kidney thrashing nightmare experienced by some friends on a dive trip. They had inquired about a fishing trip at the resort. Subway Watersports was the dive operator and was excellent in all respects. Their dive boats were large and new. They had a fishing boat that our friends assumed would be the boat they were chartering. Assumed is the key word here. I'm not sure who they were talking to about the trip, but when the morning came to depart, they were picked up in a small economy car to go to the other side of the island. Picture 4 big guys getting into a subcompact economy car. The boat was a long, narrow panga with no shade and one outboard engine. This trip was not in any way affiliated with Subway. Our friends were baited and switched by someone who probably should not have been in the resort to begin with.

The seas were rough and they spent 4 or 5 hours roasting in the sun, baling out water, and not catching fish while taking a pounding bouncing through the waves. This was a friend of a friend deal our friends paid full price for and just assumed they would be on a nice fishing boat. We had a similar experience on a friend of a friend's restaurant trip....

So...make sure you know exactly what your fishing trip will entail. Our guys thought they were dealing with a recognized operator....they were even looking at the big, nice, new fishing boat as they were discussing the trip. Ask questions, your kidneys will thank you!!

Drink a Salva Vida for me!!

Jay

I concur with the story above. One of my dive buds really wanted to try fishing at Roatan. We first spoke with someone with "Captain Action", Fishing Charters. A very nice offshore rigged fishing charter boat but found it was $800 for 1/2 day plus tips. My bud talked with another guy there at West Bay that was $200 for 1/2 day. As mentioned above, small panga, no bimini, brutally hot, a few bonitas & 1 barracuda. Guess you get what you pay for!

To add some excitement to the trip, the engine started sputtering & smoking like a chimney while outside the reef. The guide's response: No problem mon, too much oil in the gas.

Last edited:
Those horror stories are just why I recommended Aqua Adventures which has been in business for many years and runs a quality operation at both Media Luna Resort and Las Rocas. In addition to running a first class dive operation supervised by Mirta, husband Gary is a well renowned fishing guide, having successfully competed regularly in annual Roatan billfish contest. While I can't relate personal experience with his fly fishing tarpon, bonefish and permit excursions I can tell you from personal experience that you won't be disappointed with his offshore trips for billfish.

till no bimini or out/down riggers.
If I knew what this was, I still wouldn't care - I don't fish...it seems counterproductive to what I go there for.:eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom