fishing in Thailand's national park!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey lets try and remember that the Thai Government AND Royal Family have an excellent conservation record, the crown princess until recently has always been an avid diver and maintains a close interest esp in marine conservation. If they can strike a balance between fishing and conservation then that to me is great.

So long as the impact of both fishing and recreational diving is managed then there's no reason why there can't be harmony! remember, we as divers have an impact too!

Somebody once told me that the boundary of that Similan National park is only 30m from the respective Isle.
Can this be true ??
I know every time I've dived the Similans theres always more than a few fishing boats milling around close to the islands.

Also I've never seen any kind of park wardens in the Similans, so I remain unconviced by supposed conservation records.

usually local fishermen come within range of the island to hide from the wind that picks up at night, they don't fish around the islands.

i think the park's authority are now putting in more of an appearance, but they still have far from enough staff to look after the area effectively - and of course, you can't get away from corruptions now and again.

hmm, it's a really difficult matter as with anything that involves our environment.
i know the government has a lot to do with things, but if thailand is anything like malaysia corruption and money will override any laws. so i guess the question is what can we do? i know the don't eat fish idea of mine isn't a solution for everyone, but if everyone had their own personal solution that would help the situation a lot would be done.
jiptha opened this post to let more ppl see whats going on. so any other ideas?
writing to authorities is good, but then we would have to wait for their reaction and be dependent on that. so it's up to us to act.

Got this email this morning :

Dear DOCT Members,

and

Khun Wan, Khun Sylvie, Khun Nathan, Khun Udom, Khun Nalinee and Khun Jipatha.

1. Over the weekend we were made aware, after receiving several e-mails, from concerned individuals that there was a website called www.thaifishingguide,com which was promoting fishing trips in the Similans. Photograph of the week showed a tourist on a game fishing boat holding a leopard shark he had caught. Underneath the picture was the caption that this was caught in the Similans.

2. After visiting Patong, Phuket town offices and the main office in Chalong, I finally spoke to the owners of the company, Thai Fishing Guide. The owners are two Danish nationals Ronny and Michael.

3. I spoke to Ronny about his website, the photograph and the caption and informed him it was bringing him alot of negative publicity.

4. He informed me that they never fish in the Similan National Park and that particular shark was caught about 8 nautical miles from the Similans. He should have been more specific in writing the caption (not 'in the Similans, but near the Similans').

5. He also told me that their policy is 'Catch and Release', which is what happened to this particular shark.

6. He agreed to remove the photograph and the caption from his website as soon as possible in the next few days.

7. He also apologised for causing any discomfort to anybody, and now wishes to become a member of the DOCT! I have now set up a meeting with him for later in the week, concerning this matter.

Regards,

Alistair

President

DOCT.

Sunrise:
3. I spoke to Ronny about his website, the photograph and the caption and informed him it was bringing him alot of negative publicity.

4. He informed me that they never fish in the Similan National Park and that particular shark was caught about 8 nautical miles from the Similans. He should have been more specific in writing the caption (not 'in the Similans, but near the Similans').

5. He also told me that their policy is 'Catch and Release', which is what happened to this particular shark.

that's what he says. does catch and release also mean dancing with the shark and reducing his chance of surviving? how many ppl got to take a photo with the shark? sharks are very strong and i don't know if a live shark that size would be easy to hold up if still alive.

a good start, i'm sure they'll be more aware of their policies now.

Back
Top Bottom