Fitness and Panic: split from "Would you buy gear that someone died using?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So once again. Cite *one* credible source for this. Just one. To my way of reading you're still saying A->B therefore B->A and I'm going to need you to google us a better source than this to refute that.

That's all I got, sorry.

But who do you think would be in better shape in a scuba diving crisis, a fit or a nonfit diver, all other things (including skills and experience), being equal?

That's all I got, sorry.

But who do you think would be in better shape in a scuba diving crisis, a fit or a nonfit diver, all other things (including skills and experience), being equal?

I went back and reworked my post. we crossed posts just now.

To answer your question, I would put my trust in the diver with the highest level of skill and experience, which may or may not be the one with the highest level of excercise tolerance.

If the emergency required running a marathon, however, then I'd go with the highly fit one. :wink:

R..

To answer your question, I would put my trust in the diver with the highest level of skill and experience, which may or may not be the one with the highest level of excercise tolerance.

That wasn't my question. Reread the part about "all other things being equal".

The ONLY variable is the level of fitness of the diver.

The ONLY variable is the level of fitness of the diver.

Then I'd put my money on the one with the higher IQ or the type-B personality ... LOL

Ok, you win. If all other things were equal I'll admit that I'd take the fit one. :wink:

R..

Fitness isn't a guarantee or a panacea ...

Reggie Lewis ... former forward for the Boston Celtics ... was 27 years old when he died of a heart attack.

Jim Fixx ... the guy who wrote the book on running ... was 52 when he died of a heart attack.

I think it's fair to say they were both a bit more than average physically fit ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Fitness isn't a guarantee or a panacea ...

No, of course it isn't. Being fit is just another way to hedge your bets. Especially if you devote a lot of your time to a sport that involves fairly intense physical activity.

If you've got a medical time bomb ticking inside your body such as a congential heart defect or a brain anneyrism just waiting to explode, you're done for when your number comes up regardless of how fit you are.

But so what?

That's like saying why carry a bailout bottle if you might get eaten by a shark?

I don't worry about sharks ... we're generally not on their menu.

No ... I assess real risks, not imaginary ones. I determine which risks I'm willing to take, to what degree, and with what mitigation.

I carry a bailout bottle when I solo dive ... always. When I buddy dive, I make sure my buddy and I understand and agree to the rules of the dive ... always. When I deep dive, I make appropriate gas selections and work out an appropriate ascent profile, and make sure whomever I'm diving with is in agreement with them ... always.

Those are real risks, real plans, and real mitigations.

Fear of sharks is a fantasy, for the most part. Leave them alone and they'll leave you alone. There's no need to plan contingencies for "accidental ingestion" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom