Fitness Members Only: Weekly Journal 4/16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I rode another 6 miles yesterday on my bike with more wind. No doubt I'm losing inches, but not sure if it will show on the scale Thursday.
So far 26 miles on my bike.
David heated the pool to 90 degrees by accident last night, instead of the Jacuzzi.
( if he didn't notice it when he did, it would have went up to 102)
I did laps at 10PM because of it, and I'm on my way back in there now, while it's still 85 degrees!

after taking the last five days off.

Friday we went down to Gilboa with a truckload of dive gear, beer and food and acted like a couple of fools for the weekend. I can't count how many beers I had in two days! We had a big pot luck on Saturday afternoon for about 25 folks from the Scubaboard. Tony deep fried a turkey, we had brats, KFC chicken, a dozen side dishes, desserts up the yazoo, and guess who tried to sample EVERYTHING? Well, I did!!!

So, after a weekend of abuse, I was too tired to work out yesterday in the morning, but did make it today for a little over an hour and tried to burn up an extra 600 calories or so....

DiverG,

Hang in there, keep up the good work, you may be losing fat and gaining lean body mass (muscles and bone density). See my post below.

Mike

DiverG:
This week has been discouraging for me. I'm eating about the same as last week, and I've tripled my exercise from a one mile walk a day to a three mile walk per day.

Well since Tuesday, I've gained about 1.5lbs, and I'm not happy. Tonight I tried to do my three mile walk, but only made two miles before giving up.

I sure hope I feel better in the morning.

I have been tracking weight loss and body fat % with a Tanita scale.

Body Fat is what you want to lose. Although some is necessary for insulation and protection of organs and joints.

For my age and gender 14-15% body would be fine, and that is my goal. Some world class athelets get down to 3% range.

Lean body mass is good, that is muscle and bones. Muscles and bone density actually help burn calories.

You can lose both on a diet only, loss of Lean Mass is bad.

The experts recommend only about a 2 pound weight loss per week. By combining dieting with exercise you help assure that you gain muscle and loose fat.

I have attempted to cut my portions in half and stay away from snacks and junk food.

I am running 3 miles three times a week and lifting weights (dumbells) three times a week. I am focusing on intensity with both. I also walk as much as possible and am now riding my Mountain bike again, now that the weather is nice.

I started the challenge at 191 pounds and 21% body fat. My goal, and it really helps to have a goal or target to hit, is 180 pounds at 15% body fat.

I am using an excel spreadsheet to do the calcs and will post a copy of it if anyone wants it.

My first weigh in was 187.5 at 20% body fat.
Second weigh in is 190.5 at 18% body fat.

It looks like I only lost 1/2 pound. But when you factor the body fat % I actually lost almost 6 pounds of fat, and gained a little over 5 pounds of muscle. For a net loss of 1/2 pound.

My scale is not the most accurate method of BF measurement, so the figures could be skewed somewhat, but I hope you all get the idea. There is more to consider than just weight loss.

Good Luck to All and thanks for the encouragement to help me get back into a healthier lifestyle.

mike :wink:

frankenmuth_tom:
I can't count how many beers I had in two days!

Tom,

By my count you only had one mug - you just kept refillin it.....

netmage:
Tom,

By my count you only had one mug - you just kept refillin it.....

Just what I need when we are at a party...a bean counter! :wink: LOL
Actually, after the first couple, I would set my beer down and it would walk away! Usually by the time I got back for it, I had to hunt up a new cup!

frankenmuth_tom:
Just what I need when we are at a party...a bean counter! :wink: LOL
Actually, after the first couple, I would set my beer down and it would walk away! Usually by the time I got back for it, I had to hunt up a new cup!

That was probably Cyril sneakin' sips....

Tuesday...... kinda screwy......

Breakfast - chicken breast (!) at about 11:00 a.m. (left early for work and forgot to bring my breakfast)

Lunch - 4 slices of ham, 3 slices of chees, 1 cup (or so) of carrots, banana, lo carb bar, glass of fat free milk

Dinner - Caesar salad with chicken, 1/2 glass of chocolate milk (YUM) for dessert

1/2 hour stairmaster

Wednesday - Breakfast - strawberry cereal bar, 4 oz cheese, and my primary vice, Starbucks soy (no whip) mocha

snack - banana

Lunch - Cobb Salad

Dinner - chicken fajitas (no tortillas or wraps), probably something sweet (and small) for dessert

Exercise? Either a nite beach dive or swimming, approx. 1500 yards

Tomorrow is weigh in. I have an anorexic mind. I cannot tell objectively if I have lost weight just looking at myself. And even if I have, I tend to lose perspecitve (as with a lot of things in life) and think it's not enough) My jeans are a little looser out of the dryer tho....

Chris

I fell off it on Friday and now I cant seem to find it. :dontgetit Friends had a BBQ on Saturday, I ate a whole rack of baby back ribs, twice baked potato, way to many beers and an obnoxious amount of wine. Slept most of the day Sunday. I am way to old for this stuff. Didn't work out all weekend, went to the movies yesterday and ate most of a large popcorn and then had a burrito for dinner!! I don not want to get on the scale. :( Going diving tonight thought so I will get some exercise. I just need to find that damned wagon.

Terry

Yesterday I had a very busy day at work. Did not work out, but did watch my WW points. I did a good job keeping them in control. I did not work out this am was not in the mood and found it hard to wake up at 5:15am. But the good news is I am off work early today and it is beautiful outside so I need to get off this computer and get busy.

I will walk 30 minutes this afternoon!

I have so far today had a good day with my eating. Since my husband will not be home for dinner tonight I had a larger lunch and plan to have my light dinner.

Well, that is really all I have for now. I will be checking back in later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom