Fitting the backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robertarak

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
We all know how important the fit of the harness is, but I can't seem to find anything on how that fit should be. The top of the plate at C-3? Even witht he top of the shoulders? I am sure there is a method to get thr proper fit. I want to help fit my girlfriend into her brand new semi-custom DSS BP/W (it's so cool with pink trim, she loves it!) Anyway, what is the best way to fit it? Thanx!

This is Tobin's forum, so I should wait for him to answer, but you can get some preliminary information here

Thanks TSandM. That link is a great starting point. Follow those guidelines and go dive, adjust, dive etc. It will take a little while to "nail it"

The rule of thumb is that you should be ablt to touch the top of the backplate by reaching over the top of your shoulder, low and you need to tighten the harness.

Keep in mind that this plate position is so you can reach your valves when diving doubles. Single tanks can be moved relative to the plate much more easily than bolted on doubles.

Tightness of the harness is subjective to certain extent, definitely don't want it sloppy, but new BP&W divers often find that they will progressively tighten the harness, as they become more accustomed to using it, and confident that they can get in and out of it. That just means you need to trim it again, which is no big deal.

Good luck, enjoy

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom