FIX Housing G12 feature zinc anodes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The company Fisheye had add the zinc anodes to its flagship FIX housing for the Canon PowerShot G12.
Fisheye Japan's Photos - FIX housing G12 | Facebook

Who are you? I notice you have put a link for Fisheye Facebook in every single thread, do you work for Fisheye/FIX?

The zinc anodes, yawn, not like one cannot take a zinc washer and attach it between the housing and tray or tripod socket (like I do). Some have been doing this for decades with aluminum housings that see a lot of immersion time in challenging conditions (meaning no freshwater rinse available).

Will that be offered as a retrofit for those who bought other FIX housings last year or is what was last year now not so good now and should have designed better to begin with?

Don't make a little thing into a mountain. The zinc anode pre-attached is a nice feature but hardly offsets the loss of versatility the fixed 52mm port (if indeed it is fixed) takes away. Plus, the FIX95 housing seems larger and bulkier and the front ring control is in a poor location IMO. That opinion based on one year of use with the FIX90 and other similar cameras in the past.

What would have been nice would have been the ability to use the dry port wide angle from the G series FIX housing OR wet lenses via the standard port. Another good feature would have been a universal fit for both the S90 and S95 via an optional door etc. Those are things that would produce real value to the end user.

This feature is original to Fisheye's housing and can't be found on look-a-like Recsea housing.

Which by the way (Recsea) is an improved versions of what FIX offered last year. Just because FIX has a different supplier for whatever reason does not render the former supplier obsolete. Looks like you have some competition from another company that has one upped you, it will take more than a zinc anode to even the tables.

N

Hi Nemrod,

Thanks for your opinion. I will pass it to the Fisheye as soon as I could.
To answer your question, I've joined the company on the freelance base now so I would like to do some more PR for them to get me a full time position with them.

oyoroi

Hi Nemrod,

Thanks for your opinion. I will pass it to the Fisheye as soon as I could.
To answer your question, I've joined the company on the freelance base now so I would like to do some more PR for them to get me a full time position with them.

oyoroi

Good luck with your new position, hope it goes full time for you :cool2: with great success. While it may seem I am negative on the new G and S series FIX housings that is not true, I am just stymied by the fixed port on the FIX95, the G series looks nice indeed.

People everywhere, everyone, EVERYONE, prefers a bayonet mount. Maybe for the S100 and G13 y'all can work a universal bayonet mount into the unit, oh, wait, y'all did with the FIX90 but it was just over priced at nearly 200 dollars per.:rofl3:

N

What does the zinc anode/washer do for the housing?

What does the zinc anode/washer do for the housing?

It acts as a sacrificial metal which prevents corrosion of the housing.

I have a G12, and it takes wonderful pictures on land. Now, I would like to get a housing to use it diving, but not sure which housing to go with: Fisheye FIX, WP-DC34, or Ikelite. I'm not finding many reviews on the housings. I would like to get the housing that can take a lot of abuse (travel & 100+ dives a year), ease of use, and can take multiple light attachments.

I'm leaning towards the Fisheye FIX.
Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

I have a G12, and it takes wonderful pictures on land. Now, I would like to get a housing to use it diving, but not sure which housing to go with: Fisheye FIX, WP-DC34, or Ikelite. I'm not finding many reviews on the housings. I would like to get the housing that can take a lot of abuse (travel & 100+ dives a year), ease of use, and can take multiple light attachments.

I'm leaning towards the Fisheye FIX.
Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

I have to say this as a person exceedingly fond of aluminum housings :D:

First, the zinc anode is a good thing but a little thing. It can be added to any aluminum housing for a few pennies but it is a nice touch.

Second, when it comes to ruggedness and repair-ability, and service, it is hard to beat Ikelite and their boxy shoebox housings.

OK, third, the FIX housing is awfully nice but since the people who used to make their housing now make the Recsea line instead, dunno, they are both awfully nice.

Here is a question, who will service my FIX90 housing that is now marketed by Recsea but which I bought from a premier USA underwater photography store we all know and love but who does not carry Recsea? I dunno :idk:, my three brain cells may melt and fuse over that question. There was never a manual so I am not sure even what the suggested service interval is though I am sure if pressed they would say annually :wink:.

Is it possible to have stability in the world at any level anymore, can't we just all be friends and sing songs around the campfire with cameras in hand?

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom