Fix old computer or take discount and buy a new one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I have a uwatec aladin air z nitrox that I have had for about 17 or so years now. The battery was dead so I sent it back to Scuba pro since it has the lifetime battery program, but they discovered that the pins are bad so it would cost 145 to repair them. They also said that they would offer a 25% discount towards a new computer If I decided to go that direction. I have never had an issue with this computer but it is older and does not have the ability to download dives and is pretty limited in its data. I was thinking about getting the M2 which would put it around 800ish with the discount. Also speaking with the shop owner he seemed to be a much bigger fan of the suunto brand and really seemed to prefer the D5 but that would cost about 400 more since I would not get the scuba pro discount. What would you do if you were in my shoes? I do like the idea of switching to more of a watch style computer so I can just put it on at the beginning of my vacation and not have to worry about losing my dive computer.

My primary work horse, Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox, is approaching 22yrs young. Age is NOT the reason to replace a perfectly working unit. But I won't spend a cent to repair it.

After repair and battery change, you still have a 17 year old computer that is not covered by any warranty if it breaks down tomorrow after spending hundreds of dollars today.

I like the Cressi Leonardo, less than $200 at LeisurePro, and it has a user-changeable battery, so you will never need to "send it in" again for a battery change. Battery is just a couple of bucks, you can buy one at pretty much any pharmacy or hardware store.

After repair and battery change, you still have a 17 year old computer that is not covered by any warranty if it breaks down tomorrow after spending hundreds of dollars today.

I am also for buying a new one. But a cautionary tale as regarding warranties: I bought a brand new Suunto Mosquito from a LDS, and paid pretty much full MSRP, rather than buying it online, because at the time I believed the line about how online purchases void manufacturer warranties. After maybe 20 dives with it, while the computer was still under warranty, the crystal cracked. I took it in to the LDS, and they told me that Suunto had discontinued the model, and that while the warranty period had not run out, Suunto had decided not to honor the warranty. The LDS told me that the best they could do was give me a 25 percent discount on a different computer.

Personally, I drew several lessons from this: (1) don't buy anything from Suunto, and (2) don't buy any computer from an LDS just because you think the warranty will be honored, and (3) definitely shop around, including online. There are plenty of good computers for well under $200 from companies like Cressi and Aqualung, and they have user-changeable batteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom