Fixed mount GoPro 12 suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HighLordGomer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I like what I have read about the GoPro 12 so I am leaning heavily in that direction.

I am a new diver and want something with a fixed mount that I don't have to handle or mess with underwater that might catch some of what I've seen. I've been with "that guy" diving through his camera that goes above, under, and into everyone around him to get "the shot". I don't want to be that guy.

A friend has a mask mount but I have a single plane glass mask so that isn't an option. It was hard enough to find that the Abaco fit my melon head with minimal leakage and I'm not likely to switch.

At this point I am still flailing around too much with my arms to make a wrist mount a viable option.

I *think* I would like a high chest mount but see/read vey little about those. Upper chest is fairly uncluttered for me.

Any and all suggestions that don't involve illegal and/or immoral activities would be greatly appreciated!

I like what I have read about the GoPro 12 so I am leaning heavily in that direction.

I am a new diver and want something with a fixed mount that I don't have to handle or mess with underwater that might catch some of what I've seen. I've been with "that guy" diving through his camera that goes above, under, and into everyone around him to get "the shot". I don't want to be that guy.

A friend has a mask mount but I have a single plane glass mask so that isn't an option. It was hard enough to find that the Abaco fit my melon head with minimal leakage and I'm not likely to switch.

At this point I am still flailing around too much with my arms to make a wrist mount a viable option.

I *think* I would like a high chest mount but see/read vey little about those. Upper chest is fairly uncluttered for me.

Any and all suggestions that don't involve illegal and/or immoral activities would be greatly appreciated!
Couple things on this...

1) focus on diving before sharing it with those topside. A fixed camera almost always has terrible footage. A handheld camera used by an unstable diver almost always has terrible footage.

2) put it on a simple handle attached to a retractor. Clip that to your chest or shoulder D-ring and use it until you're done. You can let go with no concern for losing it when you inevitably start flailing around.

3) getting a decent shot with a go pro requires that you shoot video and later pull stills from it. They turn out pretty good that way and you can grow in your experiences while sharing them with friends and family.

Go Pro Hero 10 can get some petty good shots with no extra work done. I only shoot video and pull stills.

GX010317_1694149102443.jpg
GX010423_1712200257702.jpg
GX010421_1712200381309.jpg
GX010397_1708317989825.jpg

If you're still "flailing around too much" with your arms I'd leave the camera at home for the time being. You have more important things to think about.

Couple things on this...

1) focus on diving before sharing it with those topside. A fixed camera almost always has terrible footage. A handheld camera used by an unstable diver almost always has terrible footage.

2) put it on a simple handle attached to a retractor. Clip that to your chest or shoulder D-ring and use it until you're done. You can let go with no concern for losing it when you inevitably start flailing around.

3) getting a decent shot with a go pro requires that you shoot video and later pull stills from it. They turn out pretty good that way and you can grow in your experiences while sharing them with friends and family.

Go Pro Hero 10 can get some petty good shots with no extra work done. I only shoot video and pull stills.
Thank you!

If you're still "flailing around too much" with your arms I'd leave the camera at home for the time being. You have more important things to think about.
Well, I say flailing but in reality I mean I still use my hands more than I like for positional corrections, but I understand...I don't want to be messing with a camera while underwater just yet. I was hoping a fixed mount might get something worth looking at later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom