FL Cavern instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:hijack:

Just got off the phone with Jim Wyatt. Sounds like a great guy and really looking forward to our Cavern course with him this August. Thanks B Lo for starting this thread and helping me find the right instructor for us.

I did the same thing last year and feel JW is the best instructor I have ever delt with. I am looking forward to continuing my cave education/certification from him this season.

Thank you for the good words Randy g

:hijack:

Just got off the phone with Jim Wyatt. Sounds like a great guy and really looking forward to our Cavern course with him this August. Thanks B Lo for starting this thread and helping me find the right instructor for us.

Just don't let Jim take you to Gators Dockside after class.... Your fingers will not forgive you for the hot wing sauce.....

Dan-O

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Just don't let Jim take you to Gators Dockside after class.... Your fingers will not forgive you for the hot wing sauce.....

Dan-O

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Cave finger, I wonder if anyone has made it through training without experiencing this.

Cave finger, I wonder if anyone has made it through training without experiencing this.

Strangely, I never experienced "cave finger" as a student, but I seem to get them a lot while teaching cave diving. :D

I never experienced that during class. I wasn't allowed to touch any rock at any time during class. Since the flow at JB has gone from "Flowing" to "miserable" I've started understanding the meaning.

I never experienced that during class. I wasn't allowed to touch any rock at any time during class. Since the flow at JB has gone from "Flowing" to "miserable" I've started understanding the meaning.

When pulling reach for something closer to you instead of way out in front of you and pull slowly so your finger doesn't slip.

It's like rock climbing underwater. Look for good holds. Look for places that are already scarred from use rather than add to the damage and erosion caused by humans. Go slowly and easily. Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. If you decide to do a big pull and reach, it is almost the same as doing a dyno while climbing. You want to inhale, pull but don't let your fingers slip (which sandpapers them into cave fingers since your skin gets soft in the water and the limestone acts like pumice), exhale as you glide, come to rest on your next hold with a solid touch, inhale, check your buoyancy, breathing rate, trim, team, and then scan the environment for your next move. Try to use the cave to your advantage. Hide behind formations, outcrops, ceilings, stay near walls where flow is reduced, be careful of your equipment striking the cave.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom