FL in Jan/Feb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makhno

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm curious about the probability of most of the North Central Florida caves getting flooded out in winter (I mean, not literally flooded, but tannic river water ruining the visibility in the caves). Your informed opinions and advice would be much appreciated.

I'm looking forward to returning to Florida for a few days of cave diving at the end of January/early February. Because I live overseas, I've only done a few days of Florida cave diving once a year, for a few years … but since it's always around late January/early February, each time there's been a bit of flooding. So, I've done more dives at Ginnie Springs than I had planned, and far fewer in other cave systems (I enjoyed one in Manatee but then my buddy had an equipment problem, and the state park wouldn't let me dive solo, so that one dive was all I got … similar problem at Peacock, then the next day it was closed).

So, I've booked lodging for a few days near Peacock … what are the chances I'll actually be able to dive it in late January/early February? If it's flooded, and/or I end up without a buddy, what are my options, apart from Ginnie Springs?

I've got a macro critters dive trip planned for the Philippines later in February, and then wrecks planned for the summer, so these few days are probably all I'll have available for cave diving in 2018; I'll be heartbroken if I miss out due to rainy weather upstream.

Your input and advice will be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

rare to have them flood that bad in January/February. You have to start being careful at the end of March which is usually the start of the rainy season.

Worst case, it's a 3 hour drive to the Mill Pond and those caves can't flood since they aren't attached to a river *well the river is created by the outflow from JB, and if it monsoons JB can get a bit milky due to the various sinkholes around it, but usually only for the day maybe 2 after the rain stops*. Some cool macro critters up there too if you're into that thing. Cave salamanders in JB and HITW that are only found there.

Cisteen loop in Peacock had a TON of life in it 2 weeks ago, so if you're looking for some macro critters you'll find some back there.

Farmers almanac is calling for some heavy rain on the last week of January in southern Georgia which is where the rivers are fed, but a dry February. Shouldn't be heavy or long enough to flood them though, but it looks like end of March/early April is going to be pretty ugly

Thanks. I misread your initial post, I'm familiar with the animal and I initially thought Hole in the Wall, but I wanted it to be another animal to photo.

Thanks for your replies. Looking forward to getting back there again.

Be flexible in your plans because where it was typically April/May was the rainy season, it has gotten earlier over the years. We have had some protracted flooding that have closed systems for long periods of time. Good luck, but I wouldn't make your plans based exclusively on specific system. Also, Ginnie has been changing and enforcing rules, so solo diving may be in jeopardy in the future-who knows.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom