Flag/Cloth found Sea Wolf, NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pwfletcher

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I found this piece of cloth burried under the wreck of the Sea Wolf off of the coast of New York. Looks like some sort of linen or hand woven material. Any ideas???

Beach Towel :D

I can't tell from the picture, but does it look hand woven or machine woven?

Lil' Irish Temper:
Beach Towel :D

I can't tell from the picture, but does it look hand woven or machine woven?

Definitely hand woven ... almost like linen.

Still trying to figure out what that thing is?

Lol ... yes :) Cleaned out the closet this weekend and came across it once again. Thought that I would give it one last try before I tossed it. Were you on the boat with me when I found it?

get in contact with a local history professor at a local college, they may be able to identify it, or lead you to someone who can give you more history on it

Any idea how old the wreck is? That cloth looks to be in amazing condition if it's been on the bottom for any length of time.

WD

What are the physical dimensions?
Prayer rug?

No idea how old the wreck is, but it is wooden and has a wooden spine. I presume it is over 100 years. However, the cloth was completely burried and not exposed to the open ocean. It is about 5 feet by 4 feet.

Back
Top Bottom