Flaming Scallop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

debljames

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This critter was spotted on a day dive on the Great Barrier Reef. I did not log the specific dive site. It's probably 8 inches down into a hole in the reef. The divemaster left flashlights at the site so we could get a clear view. Of course, they told us the name of the critter, but it's been nearly a year ago now and I can't remember. Someone suggested "flaming scallop," but he also thought they were only indigenous to the Caribbean region. Below are two images - the second is a closer crop of the first.

_DSC9551.jpg

_DSC9551-2.jpg

It looks to me more like some kind of file clam, maybe a flaming file clam.

Thanks, don Francisco! After a little searching it appears that a flaming file clam and flaming scallop are actually the same thing? Everything I've seen so far though indicates these are found in the Caribbean area. Does anyone know if these are found on the Great Barrier Reef?

Does anyone know if these are found on the Great Barrier Reef?
Welllll..... if that's where you took the picture.... :)
I reckon so!
Rick

lol...yes I guess so. I just wanted to be sure that this thing is indeed a flaming scallop or file clam rather than something else. :D

Thanks everyone!

I checked a few sources, and file clams of this type do exist in the Pacific, though, other than your photo, I can't say they're on the GBR

Back when I was doing a little graduate systematic botany at Auburn (I hate to think how many years ago :) ) we had a saying about species distribution which went "Rare... except where abundant," because we so frequently found that distribution and density statements in textbooks were way off base.
Bottom line is that species distribution in texts is determined by what's been both observed, and reported, and in many cases confirmed (because a sighting by an "amateur" isn't generally considered credible until backed up by an "authority")... and that the only reason some very large healthy populations are found outside the distribution cited in the books is just because no one's documented them before.
Therefore... never rule out the possibility of a species being where you see it based on the distribution description in a book - if it's there, it's there :D
Rick

We saw one of those on the GBR too. I'd have to check my log for what they called it. It might have been a flame file shell. If no one else finds it I'll check when I get home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom