Flat lens for GoPro Hero HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got my Mako lens and was wondering if there will be an difference in the above water video....Will the angle of view change? Once I install the new lens I don't want to have to change it out when shooting on land if I don't have to. Only about 25% of my footage will be underwater.

Just got my Mako lens and was wondering if there will be an difference in the above water video....Will the angle of view change? Once I install the new lens I don't want to have to change it out when shooting on land if I don't have to. Only about 25% of my footage will be underwater.

The issue you will have is that there will be vignetting on all modes other then r5 and photos so I think its best to have 2 cases one for UW and one for above to use with the other modes.

I have the eyeofmine housing and one of the best advantages I see with it is that it comes with a full gopro housing so you can just use whichever one you need at the time.

Could be a good idea to buy a spare housing if using the mako because it would be a hassle changing it over all the time I think. Thats why I think the EOM fix is not as expensive when you consider the extra housing and conveniance of it.

Just shoot in R5!

GoPro was in my LDS on Friday and said they are comming out with a new case that will have a flat lens, etc. I hope they fix the issue with the latch free floating when the case compresses under pressure!!!

But they said the LCD would be out about 12 months before it was!!!

The loose latch at depth is a little troubling, the fiddler in me wanted to open it :)

I ordered from Mako with the lens so shipping and lens cost was very good, free :D

I think the Go pro range is going to evolve and we should see more and more great features

Quick Question: I ordered the gopro and the whole shebang from Mako Spearguns, and I am very pleased with the transaction! I installed the new lens per the instructions on Mako's site. I took the housing and placed it in a tub of water to check the seal on the new lens and I noticed that some water was getting under the o-ring that is positioned under the lens. No water actually made it into the housing but it got me wondering if under pressure the water might leak in. Anyone else have this issue? Am I being paranoid or should I try to re-seat the o-ring and tighten it all down again. Thanks for your help.

I am having the same issue. Can you please post about what was said in the PM? MAKO?

I am continuing to use the GO PRO and the MAKO flat lens and have had no problems with leakage etc. HOWEVER, I have also seen the issue with the latch. It seems that for a deep dive the gasket gets really compressed, so much that the rear door is pushed in and this removes the tension from the latch. The latch can then open up with a very slight bump. That is scary.

I have not gotten any water inside, but from now on I am using a rubber band around the camera (doubled up) to hold the hatch down. it takes 20 seconds and seems like a perfectly satisfactory solution to a problem with the case. It is unrelated to the lens.

The rubber band Sounds Like a good idea but you will not be able to open the housing deeper than 30' of water.

Yes at depth, the back door is held tightly by the water pressure. The problem could arise near the surface.

i meant that i order one from mako and paid. but i have not gotten it. wrote an email to him.. nothing... aigh....

i just hope he send me a mail telling me he will send one out soon... else i will have to ask for my money back

Dano would NOT screw you over like that. He is one of the most honest person I have ever dealt with. Call Mako and they will fix the problem on the spot.

Dano would NOT screw you over like that. He is one of the most honest person I have ever dealt with. Call Mako and they will fix the problem on the spot.

this was a done deal ages ago.. i got my stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom