Flesh wounds from fin straps above heel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearlman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings,

I am back from my diving vacation in the Phil. I am a relative newbie with just 62 dives and I have never used the open heel adjustable kind of fins they use here in the Phil before this. All my earlier dives have been with closed full foot fins till date which have only resulting in the normal minor blistering one can get from any bad shoe.

I got the low height booties to wear at every dive shop and unfortunately the straps of these fins dug into my achilles tendon area above the heel so much, the skin peeled off in a coin sized oval on both feet, on the first day itself. I kept diving over the two weeks of my vacation every few days and this meant the wounds on both feet soon no longer looked like a superficial friction blister - coupled with the fact that I was in the water about 3 hours a day and then showering 3-4 times a day regularly, the wounds began looking like deep flesh wounds (although probably not really in medical terminology - maybe one step short). The one time I got some perverse pleasure from it was when my Filipina girlfriend recoiled in utter horror when I opened the band-aids and showed her the wounds while dressing them with a fresh set (even I went ugh! when I saw their state :shocked2:). Otherwise I am in no mood to suffer this misery again on my next trip. Today when I opened the band-aids they were smelling .. :(

What did I do wrong when wearing these type of fins? I am sure I did not tighten them too much because my toes got bent in the booties everytime I tried that. The DM on my last day of diving commented that I either needed taller height booties or I was wearing the straps too high. So I did get tall booties on the last day of my diving but it was already too late. But I thought the curve above the back of the heel was the natural location to adjust and tighten the strap.

Anyone else suffer this problem? Is it common, or am I doing something plain wrong in the way I wear them?

Thank you.
--Pearlman

Sounds like they may have been too tight and/or the strap was rubbing against your skin. Yes, use "normal" boots. Take special care of those wounds I picked up a nasty foot infection in Thailand and have been on crutches, unable to walk for coming on two months.

Hi Pearlman,

I'm sorry to hear your experience was less than wonderful. You don't want the straps on open heel fins to touch exposed skin. The friction will commonly cause blisters. The only exception I've found to this are the Hotshot fins by Aqua Lung. They are an open heel fin designed to be worn with the bare foot or a lycra sock. The material is very soft and comfortable. I wore them during a live aboard trip to Belize and had no problems.

For all other open heel fins, you will want to wear a lycra sock at the very least, but I would recommend a taller neoprene boot.

To answer your question "am I doing something plain wrong in the way I am wearing them?"...Well, you are probably not wearing them wrong, but not addressing the problem after the first dive was a big mistake. Next time, take action sooner and you probably won't have a problem.

On a side note...smelly wounds are NEVER good. Maybe you should have a doctor take a look at it?

Sounds like they may have been too tight and/or the strap was rubbing against your skin. Yes, use "normal" boots. Take special care of those wounds I picked up a nasty foot infection in Thailand and have been on crutches, unable to walk for coming on two months.

Ouch! Your situation is much worse than mine. Pardon me, but may I ask how did you contract the infection? i mean was it diving related?

Hi Pearlman,

I'm sorry to hear your experience was less than wonderful. You don't want the straps on open heel fins to touch exposed skin. The friction will commonly cause blisters. The only exception I've found to this are the Hotshot fins by Aqua Lung. They are an open heel fin designed to be worn with the bare foot or a lycra sock. The material is very soft and comfortable. I wore them during a live aboard trip to Belize and had no problems.

For all other open heel fins, you will want to wear a lycra sock at the very least, but I would recommend a taller neoprene boot.

To answer your question "am I doing something plain wrong in the way I am wearing them?"...Well, you are probably not wearing them wrong, but not addressing the problem after the first dive was a big mistake. Next time, take action sooner and you probably won't have a problem.

On a side note...smelly wounds are NEVER good. Maybe you should have a doctor take a look at it?

Thanks for the tips. I need to travel light and barely manage to stay within the airline limits, so I dont plan on buying fins - they look tempting though. But I will lookout for lycra socks - lycra and spandex are my favorite material, I love their feel. I had in fact purchased some kind of rubber socks from speedo brand before my trip, knowing that I am prone to blisters on feel anyways, but I tore them on the first attempt to wear them. :( I think lycra will be more fabric like and durable.

I will check the wounds a few more days then go to doctor...

--P

Ouch! Your situation is much worse than mine. Pardon me, but may I ask how did you contract the infection? i mean was it diving related?

Thanks for the tips. I need to travel light and barely manage to stay within the airline limits, so I dont plan on buying fins - they look tempting though. But I will lookout for lycra socks - lycra and spandex are my favorite material, I love their feel. I had in fact purchased some kind of rubber socks from speedo brand before my trip, knowing that I am prone to blisters on feel anyways, but I tore them on the first attempt to wear them. :( I think lycra will be more fabric like and durable.

I will check the wounds a few more days then go to doctor...

--P

image.jpg
I was on a liveaboard trip, to be honest I'm not sure how I picked it up, it would appear that I may have trodden on something but I have no recollection.

The whole situation was made significantly worse by initial misdiagnosis and some pretty average medical care, Japan not Thailand. Please do see a doctor.

I found two ways to approach the problem of fins scuffing off skin while I was doing multiple dives.

1. Duct Tape - The duct tape takes the scuffing instead of the skin. It also had the added effect of mortifying my daughter.

2. Nylon Dive Sock - Worn under the boot, it also lets the boot rub against the nylon instead of skin. This way no one has to know.

Bob
---------------------------------
You only need two tools in life – WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the Duct Tape.

View attachment 156641
I was on a liveaboard trip, to be honest I'm not sure how I picked it up, it would appear that I may have trodden on something but I have no recollection.

The whole situation was made significantly worse by initial misdiagnosis and some pretty average medical care, Japan not Thailand. Please do see a doctor.

Good Grief MAN! How 'bout a little warning before posting a pic like that so early in the morning. YEEEOUCH!

I do agree with the advice to have this looked at. The circulation to the area where you have your wounds is poor, and if the defect is sufficiently big, it may be quite difficult to get it to close on its own. It's also an area of a great deal of motion, which impedes healing. This is not a minor injury, and should be monitored by a physician.

I do agree with the advice to have this looked at. The circulation to the area where you have your wounds is poor, and if the defect is sufficiently big, it may be quite difficult to get it to close on its own. It's also an area of a great deal of motion, which impedes healing. This is not a minor injury, and should be monitored by a physician.

Absolutely echo this, again from personal experience, I was amazed at how much trouble this foot infection has caused me. So just incase you haven't got the message yet the first thing on your "Do today" list is vist a Dr.

Back
Top Bottom