Flight Cost discrepency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once I needed to fly to Paramaribo, Suriname from Texas. The only flights the travel agency could offer me had overnight layovers in Miami PLUS Pointe-a-Pitre,Guadalupe and cost over $1,000usd round trip. Back then, the OAG was printed in a format like a phone book, so I took it and figured out my own itinerary. I was able to fly non-stop from Houston to Paris France and then without leaving the Paris airport, turn around and board a nonstop flight to Cayenne French Guiana then on to Paramaribo for only $500usd and it only took 26 hours total instead of three days and $1,000.

When I fly to Hawai'i from San Diego it's cheaper if I have a layover at LAX than it is to get on the same plane at LAX. It might make sense to me if I just sat on the plane for an hour and a half and was paying less because I was experiencing more inconvenience, but no, they have me get off the plane and board a different plane. I once asked if I could book the flight from SAN but get on the plane at LAX and the answer was "no way." What if I missed my flight from SAN? "No way." I suppose I could sneak out during the layover on the trip back if only I had someone to pick me up. :wink: Just to clarify, SAN and LAX are nearly equal in distance from my home.

Misread

Airline fares are all about supply and demand of flights/seats availability
Big plus: Competition. If the airline has a competitor flying from Toronto to Cozumel for much less, they may or may not lower fares for that route - while maintaining higher fares elsewhere.

Big plus: Competition. If the airline has a competitor flying from Toronto to Cozumel for much less, they may or may not lower fares for that route - while maintaining higher fares elsewhere.

I've noticed fares from here to Hawai'i are getting cheaper which may be due to Southwest's claim that they are going to start flights there. Well, it was supposed to be this year and nothing yet. Meanwhile I'm saving up my points :)

Back
Top Bottom