Flight prep: lithium polymer battery disassembly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think common sense is becoming not so common. I sold and shipped a scuba tank recently and took the valve off as instructed. The clerk looked at it and asked what is it because we can’t ship pressure tanks. I told him it’s open on one end so there is no way it’s a tank and as a result he put for item description “Big metal tube”. There are people who understand the rules and why they are in place and there are people who look for problems under the rouse of following rules.

I think common sense is becoming not so common. I sold and shipped a scuba tank recently and took the valve off as instructed. The clerk looked at it and asked what is it because we can’t ship pressure tanks. I told him it’s open on one end so there is no way it’s a tank and as a result he put for item description “Big metal tube”. There are people who understand the rules and why they are in place and there are people who look for problems under the rouse of following rules.
That reminds me of a story I've seen here on SB. Diver was instructed to put the valve back on the tank to then open the valve to prove the tank was empty.

Security inspectors are not electronics technicians. Given the "they went that-a-way!" reversals in airline thinking about lithium batteries of all kinds these days, not surprising they'd be confused too. Putting them in the cabin, where a fire can be more readily dealt with, is the current thinking.

You put them in individual bags: would those be the flame-resistant bags that R/C modelers use?

My favorite 'empty tank proof' experience was for a subway ride.

Rough transcript bdvo

Agent: "No compressed gasses allowed"
Me : "The valve is removed and it's only a metal bottle now."
Agent: "it's not allowed, it might still contain poisonous gasses."
---I lift and and pour the empty tank. ---
Me: "see, it's empty"
Agent: "Have a good day"

About the LiPo bags, no they were just regular plastic doggy bags. I didn't want to spook anyone with actual useful Fire Retardant bags. Just clear plastic to demonstrate the terminals were nicely taped.

Update: I've accumulated 5 hrs on the phone with various toll-free numbers playing pass the buck regarding my confiscated body (dpv scooter). Turns out it takes speaking correctly to the right people to get anywhere useful.

Here's the story I pieced together: Upon checking the bag in Canada it was immediately flagged by security due to suspicion of containing a battery. during the inspection the airline security as a precaution assumed it was a dangerous good and seized it. Leaving me an empty bag and a note saying dangerous goods were removed. "Contact your airline".

Initially it was a 193 day appeal process to get the item released from holding. Upon protest the supervisor assured me could be escalated and would only take 3 or 4 months. A couple more phone calls later I was informed it is cleared for release but is a prohibited item and can not fly. I must collect it in person back in Canada. A couple more phone calls. It now is released, but they do not handle shipping so I would need to arrange cargo transportation. A few more phone calls. It is now a 'delayed baggage' issue and will take a few days to process. They will 'locate and deliver my bag to me in Cozumel'. A couple more phone calls. The scooter is with customer care and will be put on the next direct flight (in 3 days) into Cozumel. With the option of home delivery or I collect it at the airport.

I'll update on Saturday.

All in all, persistence and creative have been stretched but it seems hopeful.

Thanks for the update and the story of persistence and it's reward. udaman

Not that I advocate this, but a friend sticks nimh stickers over his lipo stickers on his can light batteries just to save the headache.

DPV body and LiPo are reunited and the charger is purring like a Cadillac (bad joke, but I had to) and all is well.

Mexican airport security originally asked for a 200 USD bribe but we settled for an official 700 peso tax instead.

A note regarding resassembling the pack. I didn't want to risk bringing a quality soldering station, instead I packed two cheap irons and used them in tandom (held like chopsticks) for avoid damaging the cells with excessive slow heat from an underpowered iron.

Anyway. That's how now there's a LiPo powered DPV in Mexico and a little story how it flew safely from Canada.

Cameron

Last edited:
You are a true badarse jedi knight.

Back
Top Bottom