Flights to Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think tourism is picking up in Eygpt but not close to what it was before. I saw very few Americans in Luxor or Cairo but I did fly to Eygpt with several large tour groups from Atlanta and Birmingham. Some Europeans of course but lots of tour groups from China (especially at the pyramids) but that may slow down with this new corona virus hitting China. Wherever I went when they found out I was from the USA they were very happy and urged me to let all Americans know it's safe now to travel in Eygpt--I have.

I think tourism is picking up in Eygpt but not close to what it was before. I saw very few Americans in Luxor or Cairo but I did fly to Eygpt with several large tour groups from Atlanta and Birmingham. Some Europeans of course but lots of tour groups from China (especially at the pyramids) but that may slow down with this new corona virus hitting China. Wherever I went when they found out I was from the USA they were very happy and urged me to let all Americans know it's safe now to travel in Eygpt--I have.

Same experience with me 6 weeks ago. May be because we are known as big tippers? We may have passed through 10 security checkpoints In our way to Luxor & back to Hurghada. Every time the driver mentioned that he brought an American, occasionally showed the permit as proof, the police smile, made some small comment to the driver and let us passed.

The guests in the liveaboard were pretty international. The boat was half full (12 guests) with 4 from USA, 2 from Swiss, 2 from Germany, 2 from Nederland, and 2 from China.

When we were in Dahab eating breakfast, an american woman living there said we were the first Americans that she had seen in 9 months. She was so exited to see us that it was difficult for us to get away when we were done eating.

Wherever I went when they found out I was from the USA they were very happy and urged me to let all Americans know it's safe now to travel in Eygpt--I have.
I somehow suspect they have a similar message for the vast majority of North Americans and Europeans. But obviously a larger pool of potential visitors from the USA.

We visited Egypt in between the uprisings and there were hardly any tourists at that time. Egypt is not Iraq or Syria, however, and things generally return to "normal" after a period of time. But another tragic event like the October 15, 2015 downing of a Russian passenger plane out of Sharm would most certainly deal a heavy blow to the tourism industry.

Tourism in Egypt is a fragment of what it was 10-15 years ago. A series of events created unstabililty and insecurity. A place like Sharm El Sheikh went from lively to a ghost town. The diving industry somewhat kept it up. It was the regular tourists, the ”bulk”, that stopped coming. Liveabords seem to have thrived and since a couple of seasons ago (2018) you have to plan ahead to secure a spot on the popular choices. Extremely good value for your money.

Did a liveaboard this past September and went inland to Luxor for three days for touring. Hot? Yeppers buddy. 104 F everyday there, I know it's a dry heat but it will still beat you down. Tour guide said the first two weeks of December is the best time to visit--many less tourists and temperature in the 70's.

That's the time of year that I went. It was often still too hot for me but lines were minimal and we got the lob for half price.

Back
Top Bottom