• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Flintkote mine fatality - Canada

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by DandyDon, Jul 29, 2012.

1. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Diver drowns in former asbestos mine - Montreal - CBC News
    More from http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/29/another-scuba-diver-drowns-at-former-mine
    I am thinking that the reporter got confused, as it often the case, about "took off his equipment and tried to return to the surface" as I just don't believe that. The real actions in play may have gotten garbled in the retelling.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
    Ayisha likes this.
  2. Didje

Didje Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Very sad. Not many details are being published at the moment. There will eventually be a coroner's report, but until then we won't know what happened, and we might never know what really happened either. It's a sad day for divers :(

3. ActionScuba

ActionScuba Angel Fish

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Very sad news indeed. We hope that details will be disclosed after a full investigation so that we can all learn from this accident.

4. phaust

phaust Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    since it's will take years to have a report...

I was at the quary the next morning. the guy lost counsiousness at 40ft from a deep dive to 200+feet on trimix. it's one of the most well know diver in the area. i think he was diving for at least the last 20 years. it's a great lost for the local comunity.. the news telling that the guy removed is gear at 40ft is wrong. his body was bring to surface after faint, other divers cut is harness and bring it to shore. seem it's was too late.
    the guy was in good shape and i saw him dive with 4+ tank most of the time. I talked to him a few time, was a great person to talk with. really sad news..

Jax and Ayisha like this.
  5. phaust

phaust Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    some news..

the buddy posted something on facebook about that incident. here it goes, i will translate since in french and with a lot of spelling mistake, you will not able to google translate it.

the diver who died as 1000+ dives and 1000+ hours dive time, physicaly in great shape, 47 years old

the dive : 200feet for 15 min, then 10 min at 180 feet, then some deco stop (didnt specify). Faint at 40feet, buddy bring it to 20feet before he let go the buddy to surface ( still more than 20 min of deco at 40feet left, so he returned at 40feet)

tanks ( both of them seem to have the same setup )

double hp 100 or 130 with 18/45 helium
    1 stage AL80 with 18/45 helium in case of trouble with the double
    1 AL80 98% oxygen
    1 AL80 50% oxygen

6. tempoffroad

tempoffroad Solo Diver

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Thanks for the update. That is awefull.

7. ianr33

ianr33 Solo Diver

Wonder if he was on the, essentially 100% O2, by mistake?

8. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Wow.....what a DB

Remaining cylinder pressures would give a good indication of what he been breathed but I doubt that information is known.

9. flots am

flots am Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    If he actually surfaced from 40', he would have blown off a half hour of deco.

Regardless of what happened underwater, he would have been in serious trouble on the surface.

flots.

10. tempoffroad

tempoffroad Solo Diver

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    if he used 100 % at 40' how much pressure drop from a 3000 fill would their be till he blacked out?