Floating Log Safety Marker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saw two of those one day while diving the Stolt Dagali off NJ.

Great concept. Just to refine it a little farther consider substituting the log for one of these:

View attachment 403462
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Most excellent. Now, you have to replace my monitor because I just spit ice tea all over it. :)

Engineering one of those plastic "mines" with water jets coming out of the spikes for the incurably-curious-stick-poking-unknown-objects-crowd.

On the serious side, I always thought the real things were big, hiding under the surfrace, and rarely had the actual spikes anymore. So if I saw this thing in a local lake, I'd expect it to come from Acme Co.

On the serious side, I always thought the real things were big, hiding under the surfrace, and rarely had the actual spikes anymore. So if I saw this thing in a local lake, I'd expect it to come from Acme Co.

No, they "spikes' were actually something called a "hertz horn" which had a vile of conductive liquid inside it. When a ship made contact it would bend the horn which cracked the vile and completed the electrical circuit.

As far as know, these days you would be more likely to find "influence mines" which have all kinds of sensors in them. I do know the U.S. Navy loves the magnetic type mines that detect a unique magnetic signature which trip them.

I'm trying to remember: we stayed in place once that had a shell of a WWII mine for woodstove. I think it already didn't have the seats/mount points for the horns, but It was ages ago... I'd expect them all to be proximity- rather that contact-triggered by now. One thing I do remember is that it was way way bigger than any flag/float I'd care to drag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom