"Flood Damage": An Aquarena Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-=>Larry<=-

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I finally got in the dive today - that I had planned for last Saturdaywith Daylight :( [One of the minor benefits of being a high-tech manager - whole weeks off as your company shuts down!]
For those of you that are not nailed to TX weather -the SanAntonio-Austin corridor got nailed with 7 tornados and upwards to 12 inches of rain - All on Thursday & Friday last week - [In fact - I got locked into work on Thursday to 8PM as 2 tornados came way too close for comfort]
-=> So on Saturday they told us not to come, cancelled classes, etc... on Monday, it was down to about a foot of rushing water closing the entrance to the park - So I made plans to dive today with Bridget Clark - the new diving coordinator [She also had been a couple of weeks without getting wet, at least diving style!]

WOW - did this storm do a job on the springs. Our "task" was to weed up some of the hydrilla covering "Deep Hole". The vis was down to 30-40 feet and the current was Mooooving. Almost a drift dive on teh way down. [I felt particularly sad - as I had just learned how they ACTUALY measure viz - see a message string in basic scuba - and had intended to make one of those dohickies and try it!]
The vegitation is defintely rearrainged. I noticed in particular that the purple algae that looks like steel wool was just gone! and in many places - the hydrilla was pushed way towards the downstream and just showed roots hanging on for dear life. [Made it real easy to just pull them up!:D] Lots of silt has been stirred up and put in different places - It all looked like a different spring system!
Bridget had to AI a class at 1:30 - so we called off the fun after 45 minutes.
Then the swim back - OhMyGod!=-) - Definitely more work than I've done there for a while - I actually USED the last of my tank this time, and for less than an hour!

Anyway - Good fun as usual - I'll be trying to go back on Sunday, 2nd son wants to try out a wetsuit.

Cheers -=>Larry<=-

What do you do with the grass you pull up? Sounds like ya'll had a cool after storm dive.

If you're not busy this weekend...we'll be at Windy Point Fri-Sun.

Larry,

Good report.

I was real disappointed that our dive got scrubed. Sounds like you had a good dive this week. Let's try to reschedule for another time.

DSAO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom